mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Loose SRAM 980 cassette on hope pro II hub

Hey all,

I just put together a wheel with a Hope Pro II hub and sram 980 cassette. The problem is, the cassette is loose on the freehub body, even with the lockring tightened. The cassette comes in several pieces, the three top rings on an aluminum spider, 4 other rings bolted together, then two smallest rings loose on top. The three biggest ones on the spider wobble independently from the smaller 6 (also wobbly).

Am I missing a spacer or something? Should either of these parts come with a spacer?

Thanks in advance for the help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    In that situation, I'd hit the local bike shop for a steel 1mm spacer to put behind the largest gear cluster.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by bigleg82
    Hey all,

I just put together a wheel with a Hope Pro II hub and sram 980 cassette. The problem is, the cassette is loose on the freehub body, even with the lockring tightened. The cassette comes in several pieces, the three top rings on an aluminum spider, 4 other rings bolted together, then two smallest rings loose on top. The three biggest ones on the spider wobble independently from the smaller 6 (also wobbly).

Am I missing a spacer or something? Should either of these parts come with a spacer?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    If I recall correctly there is a black spacer that goes between the three cogs on the aluminum spider and the other rings. Do you have that?

Karl

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I took a look at the cogs today, and they are all evenly spaced from each other, which makes me think that I have all the necessary spacers between each cog. No one else out there is running a Pro II and a SRAM cassette????

EDR
    I have run a 980 on a Pro2 for a year now. Never noticed any play of any kind.

If the wobble is fore/aft be sure you have that black spacer like Kwarick said.........I don't think you could even shift through the gears without it. If it's side to side then just ride it. Once the cassette bites into the hub it won't wobble any more. In fact in may never come off again, not without pulling the freehub body off with it....lol but true.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Seriously? Is it common for cassettes to bite into the Pro II freehubs that badly?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I had the same problem with the 980 SRAM and a DTSwiss 240s Hub several months ago. I had decided to switch to SRAM because they were cheaper than XT's. I noticed play with the cassette and took it off the hub. The hub was marred and the cassette had fallen apart where SRAM put some stupid pin or something.

I called SRAM and was told they would warranty.

I ditched the Cassette and went back to XT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The wobble is fore and aft. I can't believe the fit between these two fairly popular components can be so poor! Disappointing....

EDR
    The wobble is fore and aft. I can't believe the fit between these two fairly popular components can be so poor! Disappointing....
    It's not. You have a problem of some kind. Sometimes spacers are your friend.

EDR
    Seriously? Is it common for cassettes to bite into the Pro II freehubs that badly?
    It's common for cassettes to bite into any freehub body made of aluminum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    If I recall correctly there is a black spacer that goes between the three cogs on the aluminum spider and the other rings. Do you have that?

Karl
    Bump from the dead! This little quote saved my bacon! I was going crazy trying to figure out why my cassette was loose, since it didn't come with an install diagram or anything...

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Sweet! Was nothing but a little time travel to help a fellow rider out. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm glad this thread helped someone! I kept the 980 on my hub until earlier this year, then upgraded to a 990 which has the aluminum spider supporting more than the three biggest cogs. I had some nice grooves on the Hope freehub body, but no harm done! To be honest, I kinda miss the rattling of the spider on the top 3 cogs from the 980...........but I don't mind rattles :-)