Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Loose Rear Cluster

600 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tnscoop 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some help in diagnosing a problem I'm having with my rear cluster, a standard Shimano LX 9 speed cluster on an XT hub. I recently noticed it was loose while riding. Tightened the lockring and the cluster tightened up and the play went away. But then it quickly loosened again. Next time I sought technical assistance to make sure I got the lockring tight enough. Same problem. I removed a washer (or spacer), wondering if this was the culprit. But it still loosens up, typically after about 30 minutes of riding.

I am going to replace the lockring and washer to see if that's the problem. But I'm wondering if there are other possible problems I should be considering? Thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks for teflon tape idea. I've in the past used plumbers tape to improve the seals for my bottom bracket. One bike mechanic I talked to about this suggested loctite, since we both agreed I was getting enough torque, but there has to be some reason why it is loosening.

So, after cleaning everything and tightening the lockring down one more time, it loosened while I was doing some gearing adjustments. Some part of the cassette must be be worn and moving in a way that forces the looseness. My eye isn't trained to pick a particular cog. And since it was time to put a new chain on anyway, I purchased a new cassette last night and think the problem is solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.