Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

looking to upgrade

567 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Thimk 
#1 ·
my drive train from my current crappy alivio shifters and deore RD. Thinking of '07 lx shifters and a XT RD (probably a new shadow xt model) or X7/ X9 shifters and a X9 RD. Ican also get a good deal on a '07 LX crankset or should I save up for an XT crankset? If I was to save I would probably get a new 770 model. Thanks for you input. I have used shimano and SRAM and honestly like both.

Thanksfro your input!

#2 ·
I got both the X.9 shifter and derailleur (mid-cage) off eBay for $170; just awaiting for the parts to come in the mail.

I currently have the same setup as you right now, and I've chosen SRAM cause of the 1:1 actuation ratio and the direct route cabling (and they look cooler). However, if you're gonna go with Shimano, for sure get the '08 Shadow RD but if you want something '07/discounted, go SRAM X.9.

Regarding the crankset, the LX cranks are good enough. I, however, will probably go with a Stylo simply because I've spent enough on my bike.

#3 ·
I can get lx shifters from the lbs for $60 and you can get 15% off your 1st order at sage cycles + free shipping so I could get the shadow RD for $85 for a grand total of $145. They have the new XT 770 crankset for $272 so it could be had for $231 total. I have heard that shimano shifts a bit better than truvativ (that is why I am considering the LX cranks).

#5 ·
rekibtm said:
I can get lx shifters from the lbs for $60 and you can get 15% off your 1st order at sage cycles + free shipping so I could get the shadow RD for $85 for a grand total of $145. They have the new XT 770 crankset for $272 so it could be had for $231 total. I have heard that shimano shifts a bit better than truvativ (that is why I am considering the LX cranks).
Jensonusa.com has the XT shifters for $63 (shipping makes it a little more, but not that much)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.