mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Looking to replace stock crankset.

I am currently in the process of redoing my stock drivetrain. At the moment I have ordered a new chain (SRAM PC-991), cassette (SRAM PG-970), triggers (SRAM X.9, and rear derailleur (SRAM X.9). I was thinking that I could probably get a way with just replacing the chainrings on my current crankset but the one I have now squeak every time I pedal and it gets kind of annoying real fast. So I figured that since I am replacing everything else why not do the crankset as well.

So I have been looking at either the Shimano XT or Shimano SLX. I found the SLX for a bit less than 200 and the XT for a bit over 200. I mostly ride all mountain and do some XC racing . My current bike is a Specialized Rockhopper 29er comp.

I didn't really want to spend 200 on a new crankset because I am sure I will not benefit all that much from a new one, so I was kinda leaning towards the SLX but I guess it is just a few more dollars for the XT if it would be better then I guess I could spring for it.

Any tools I need to change out the BB? What length crank arms should I get? What should I be looking for here?

for three!
    Mar 2008
    Well you can get the XT crank for 168 at chainreactioncycles. They have awesome prices on Shimano stuff, just bought some stuff from them and arrived quickly. As far as length goes i'd say if you're over 6 foot, 175mm would be a solid bet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am only 5 9'. Which size should i be looking for? Is there any special sizing for the bottom bracket?

Do they ship to USA?

thecentralscrutinizer
    175 mm
    Can't beat chainreaction for Shimano stuff.
    You will need a wrench for the external BB bearings, not sure about the XT or SLX crank tool requirements. SHouldn't have any problems with the BB. Just make sure you know the width before you start the install.
    They do ship to the USA.

Good luck.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5, custom build
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone know the width of the BB that I need?? Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    look on the spec sheet for your bike. find it pn their web site. go to the archives list if not current model