mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Looking for e-type square taper bottom bracket

As the subject says, I am looking for an e-type square taper bottom bracket in a 73-113. The only thing I can find to buy new is a Shimano un40-E, but those are crap, or a Phil Wood which would run about $200, much more than I am looking to spend. I know Shimano made a UN72-E and a UN52-E a few years ago, so I am just wondering if anyone happens to have one around that they are willing to part with. Any help in finding one would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joelmeans
    As the subject says, I am looking for an e-type square taper bottom bracket in a 73-113. The only thing I can find to buy new is a Shimano un40-E, but those are crap, or a Phil Wood which would run about $200, much more than I am looking to spend. I know Shimano made a UN72-E and a UN52-E a few years ago, so I am just wondering if anyone happens to have one around that they are willing to part with. Any help in finding one would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joel
    I've got a couple Square tapers in my parts box in my bike room... let me look into it tomorrow after work and I'll get back to you.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

If I remember correctly

Thanks,
    Joel
    Race Face had a replacement cup, a "Downhill" cup that would let a E-Type be mounted for their square taper BB's. I don't know if they still have 'em or not, but they were around about two years or so ago.

So pick up a used 113 Race Face off E-Bay ($35-$50) and a replacement cup ($15-$20).

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    I had a Raceface square taper BB and it sucked. The bearing seized after 2 or 3 mos. during the rainy winter here. This is coming from a guy who lives in Vancouver and loves their cranks, stems, posts. Buy a Shimano XT E type derailleur. They're cheaper and last longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Race Face had a replacement cup, a "Downhill" cup that would let a E-Type be mounted for their square taper BB's. I don't know if they still have 'em or not, but they were around about two years or so ago.

So pick up a used 113 Race Face off E-Bay ($35-$50) and a replacement cup ($15-$20).

JmZ

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Different experience here

The one I've got is on it's third bike. Bearings still appear good too, and when they finally do go, just pop out the cups, install new bearings and I'm good to go again.

Are the Shimano E-Type Squares still out there? From what I've read, only the lower levels are (Alivio, Deore) are out there, and those are boat anchors that don't spin smooth. (And even for as well as the XT's work. They're still disposable. If the bearings go in an XT, it's toast.)

And obviously you mileage may vary.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    I had a Raceface square taper BB and it sucked. The bearing seized after 2 or 3 mos. during the rainy winter here. This is coming from a guy who lives in Vancouver and loves their cranks, stems, posts. Buy a Shimano XT E type derailleur. They're cheaper and last longer.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I actually have found a couple of used UN72-E's (XT level) since I posted this. They don't make them anymore. The only ones Shimano still makes are the UN40's, and you are right about those not spinning smooth. I had one for a short time. They also have a plastic nds cup, which is total crap. I looked at the RaceFace, but couldn't find the DH cup. I think I will just use these UN72's until they crap out on me then look at getting a new crankset with the external bearings. Most of those are designed to work with the E-type derailleurs.
    Thanks for the input.

LE Reporter
    Dec 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by JmZ

JmZ
    Hi JmZ,

I tried this combination, but it didn't work. The DH cup makes it possible to fix the FD plate, but the spindle will move to the right side by some 2 mm.

mtbr member
    They also have a plastic nds cup, which is total crap. I looked at the RaceFace, but couldn't find the DH cup.
    Ibought a UN 72 for my Devinci lastyear and it had a plastic cup... the guy at the LBS said that thats the way they come now
    So now i use Octalink /hollowtech combo and wont go back to Square taper.