mtbr member

looking for bashguard for Shimano XTR FC-M980 Trail Crankset - Double

as stated in the name of this thread, I'm looking to find out if there is a bashguard in existence for Shimano XTR FC-M980 Trail 26/38t Double Crankset.

i found this picture of it (I hope it is that crankset)

if anyone has any info, please share.
    by the looks of the big chainring, I think there is no way to put bashguard there, but who knows, right?

I already contacted BBG and am waiting on reply.

mtbr member
    fortunatelly, it's NOT the cranks pictured above, but this one (I'm liking this one better)

would E* Thirteen's Turbocharger 40t bash fit?
    I think it would.

any thoughts?

mtbr member
    anybody?

does anyone have this crankset?
    if you do, can you post the pictures of the spider, so we can see how it looks like?

mtbr member
    Not a actual picture, but the shimano tech doc with drawings of the system - http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830799250.pdf

It looks like if you have the triple ring you can have a bash, obviously in place of the big ring, but nobody appears to make one for the double ring version.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Not a actual picture, but the shimano tech doc with drawings of the system - http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830799250.pdf

It looks like if you have the triple ring you can have a bash, obviously in place of the big ring, but nobody appears to make one for the double ring version.
    thanx Kiwi - I know about that and think that the spiders on both triple and double are the same. which is good. for instance - spiders on XT 780 and 785 are different and you can't put a 'normal' bash on 785.

I was having a conversation with Charlie from E*13/Hive and asked him would their 40t Turbocharger work on double 980, and he told me if the spider is the same as on triple 980, it should - but he can't guarantee it.

I have at home brand new Turbocharger 36t, but no one has 980 double cranks, so I can't try it. I'll see if this LBS I'm good with will have some of those cranks soon. then I hope I can try to see if the bash fits.

the main thing is that I'd like to keep Shimano's chainrings. i don't want to buy triple and just keep the granny ring, as 32t mid ring is too small for me - that's why I'd like that 26/38t souble - to keep the rings. and than there's no bash for 38t, except for a few homemade ones. I don't mean to say they're no good - they're probably even better that the one's from big brands - just want to say there is no big offer on that.

plus - can't seem to find anywhere Shimano's replacement chainrings - especially not 780/785 and/or 980 36t ones....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I could be wrong, but I don't know of any ring-type bashes that will work with a double without replacing the outer ring (turning your double crank into a 1xX). You could do an iscg or iscg05 mount (if you have the tabs) or BB-mount bash (MRP's AMG, for example), or just get a triple crank and replace the big ring with a bash?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcolletteiii View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't know of any ring-type bashes that will work with a double without replacing the outer ring (turning your double crank into a 1xX). You could do an iscg or iscg05 mount (if you have the tabs) or BB-mount bash (MRP's AMG, for example), or just get a triple crank and replace the big ring with a bash?
    I already wrote in previous post that both triple and double crankarms seem to be the same (at least they look same to me on the pdf Kiwi sent, which I did examined before he sent it to me) - which means it can take a bash - as Charlie from E*13/Hive told me (but in his words: 'triple should take a bash, and if the same spider, double also - but I can't guarantee it! try it for yourself').

triple 980 has an outer ring - and double, instead of outer ring, has gear fixing bolts that are also used for estetic purposes (they look not like screws but like caps that extend the pattern around spindle hole that looks like a big letter X)

double 980 is not like double 985 - not only in BCD feature only, but also in chainring positioning.
    let me explain:
    980 double is like triple - has granny and mid, without the outer ring
    985 double is not like that - has outer ring and mid, without the granny ring

here's the best video of double 980 I ever found. you can see the caps and chaingrings positioning.
    RACEshield - Installation on Shimano XTR FC-M980 crank arm - YouTube

the first pic I posted in this thread is 985 crankset (mistakenly - then I thought that was 980), and second one really is 980 - you can also see that 985 can't take a bash at all.

regarding putting BB or ISCG mounted taco-bash -
    I'd really like to avoid that and put bash - for security reasons. I know it's far fetched - but I'd rather rattle and break the cranks than destroy ISCG mounts and/or frame with crashing the taco

p.s. I can't really come to terms that there is not a single picture, file (pdf, whatever), or video where you can see the parts of XTR. not even on specialized forums like this one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So, I guess I'm still a bit nebulous about what you want. Are you buying this crank to convert to a 1x9 or 1x10? It seems you want both of the rings (2x setup). If so, I don't think there is a way to add a plate-type, crank-mounted, rotating bash over an existing ring. Ring-type bashes - at least the ones I'm familiar with (BBG, etc) bolt to the crank spider and replace the outer ring (usually the 104 bcd ring). It seems to me, if you want to retain the outer ring, and you are set on that crankset you will have to go with a non-rotating, non-sider mounted bash - IOW, one that mounts to your BB or to your ISCG tabs.

mtbr member
    So, I guess I'm still a bit nebulous about what you want. Are you buying this crank to convert to a 1x9 or 1x10? It seems you want both of the rings (2x setup). If so, I don't think there is a way to add a plate-type, crank-mounted, rotating bash over an existing ring. Ring-type bashes - at least the ones I'm familiar with (BBG, etc) bolt to the crank spider and replace the outer ring (usually the 104 bcd ring). It seems to me, if you want to retain the outer ring, and you are set on that crankset you will have to go with a non-rotating, non-sider mounted bash - IOW, one that mounts to your BB or to your ISCG tabs.
    I'm not converting to 1x9 (I'll be running 9sp).
    I'm gonna just gonna put the bash instead of those caps that serve as gear fixing bolts - and that's it (I'll try to see if there's a ways I can drill the bash to fit the caps and keep them - that would be great).
    look at the video I sent and you'll see those caps are really big and there is enough space for rotating bash to get bolted onto crankarms.

I see where you're going with your suggestions - I have to try this theory of mine in reality first - I don't have the cranks at disposal to see if that would work. I hope it will...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ah - I got you. The linked pdf shows an exploded view on page 1 (upper) with the little cap thingies connected by chainring bolts in the way (through the middle chainring from the back) that the outer ring normally would be - so it looks good for a bash. Sorry I - for some reason, I was thinking you wanted the outer and middle. Looks like the only thing you'd need would be some triple length chainring bolts (and the bash).

mtbr member
    Ah - I got you. The linked pdf shows an exploded view on page 1 (upper) with the little cap thingies connected by chainring bolts in the way (through the middle chainring from the back) that the outer ring normally would be - so it looks good for a bash. Sorry I - for some reason, I was thinking you wanted the outer and middle. Looks like the only thing you'd need would be some triple length chainring bolts (and the bash).
    exactly, my friend!
    I'd try to keep those caps. drill the bash - not so likely; I think I'd destroy the bash, but I'll see with my LBS guy.
    file a bit off caps - more likely - but it has to be super precise. not impossible - but have to be really careful.

if that doesn't work, well, triple length chainring bolts will do.