mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Looking for a 4x104 28t or 30t chainring

I cannot fine one to save my life. I would like one for my 1x9. Oh and a single speed version would be nice. Does anybody make one?
    Thanks

mechmann_mtb
    i didn't find anyone that makes one. this is due to the fact that nobody makes a chainring any smaller than 32T for 104BCD. i talked to Bret Brown at Boone and he said that i could get a custom made 31T. i am running a 32T on my 1x9 and the Spot Brand chain ring guard (104BCD 34T) is not much bigger than the 32T ring. it offers good protection for the chain. i went nice and slow over a fallen log yesterday to test the ability of the Spot Brand ring guard and it held up fine.

if you are weight concious i would suggest the Spot Brand one.

edit: sorry my post is jacked cuz i thought you were asking for a chain-ring guard
    essentially i answered your question though. Boone makes Ti chainrings for older style cranks where you take the spider off of the crank arm and put the chainring on instead. they make all kinds of sizes for spiderless crank applications for the SS'ers.

i thought that i was going to need a smaller chainring for my 1x9 but i really don't. i rode SJT yesterday and with a 11/34 cassete and 32T chainring i was fine. we rode 8 miles of climbing, 2300' vertical gain, and i was carrying 40lbs of gear. key thing to remember is that you have to find a cadence that you can sustain at your lowest gearing for a given climb, and don't exceed that cadence. if you spin up too fast you will wear yourself out.
    Last edited by mechmann_mtb; 10-08-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRockTJ
    I cannot fine one to save my life. I would like one for my 1x9. Oh and a single speed version would be nice. Does anybody make one?
    Thanks
    Extralite has a 30T with special integrated mounting bolts. You can get one from light-bikes.com.

http://sales.light-bikes.com/extralite/extralite.asp

Long Live Long Rides

mechmann_mtb
    SWEET!

i love to be wrong when its something like that. thanks! i might have to buy one of those.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Great to know we have that option! That's a nice looking ring too . Dare I ask how much it costs (seems every thing from Light Bikes is big $$)?

Mechmann, so far I'm liking the 32t ring on my 1x9 with 11-34 cassette too! We did Daley Ranch this weekend with the 1x9 and I had no desire for more gearing either. It was really nice not having to mess with the front shifter to keep the chain from rubbing the front der cage at the far ends of the cass cogs. As far as experimenting with gearing, I have a 34t ring I can use if I need more speed and I'm thinkin maybe I should pick up a 30t so I can see how it feels, if it doesn't cost too much $$... That 11-34t cog spread in the back is a big help with running one ring on the front .

mechmann_mtb
    yup, a little lower gearing might be helpfull. this last weekend i toasted my legs and was feeling it sunday afternoon(still feeling it today actually). we rode San Juan from the bottom to Cocktail Rock then down on friday, 10 miles on the trails on Santa Rosa Plateau on saturday, and during the second lap of Hurkey Creek on sunday my legs just weren't responding well. i got to the technical steep climb in the last 1/3 of the second lap and simply couldn't crank over the obstacles/rocks. granted we did about 55 miles and that is more than we have ever done in a weekend before, but i don't like the idea that my legs gave out. i am eyeing that chainring too. price on their website is 56 dollars.

on a side note, do you have plans for saturday? we are doing a double header, BLT in the morning, lunch break, then Daley Ranch in the afternoon. if you havn't ridden BLT you are missing out! one of the prettiest singletracks in So Cal. we seats open in the Tahoe if you don't want to drive.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    yup, a little lower gearing might be helpfull. this last weekend i toasted my legs and was feeling it sunday afternoon(still feeling it today actually). we rode San Juan from the bottom to Cocktail Rock then down on friday, 10 miles on the trails on Santa Rosa Plateau on saturday, and during the second lap of Hurkey Creek on sunday my legs just weren't responding well. i got to the technical steep climb in the last 1/3 of the second lap and simply couldn't crank over the obstacles/rocks. granted we did about 55 miles and that is more than we have ever done in a weekend before, but i don't like the idea that my legs gave out. i am eyeing that chainring too. price on their website is 56 dollars.

on a side note, do you have plans for saturday? we are doing a double header, BLT in the morning, lunch break, then Daley Ranch in the afternoon. if you havn't ridden BLT you are missing out! one of the prettiest singletracks in So Cal. we seats open in the Tahoe if you don't want to drive.
    Wow! That's some serious off road mileage there! No wonder your legs got tired! I'm not quite up to that level of endurance I don't think, but it sounds like you all had alot of fun . What is BLT?? I can likely make Daley Ranch in the afternoon, which will give me some time to spend on the motorcycles in the morning (getting them ready for Halloween weekend in the desert). Do you mind if a couple friends come along too on the Daley Ranch ride?

mechmann_mtb
    BLT is Big Laguna Trail

if you want to ride Daley in the afternoon that would be way cool. i will send you a PM with my cell number. i don't know what time we will be back up there, last time allison and i did a BLT/Daley double header we got to the parking lot around 3PM. if the sun goes down around 6 that should give us plenty of time on the trails. i am hoping to do the south/east side by the water tower, stop off at the ranch house, loop around through the valley, head up to the ridge on the north/west side and drop down through the single track.

hope to see you out there!

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    BLT is Big Laguna Trail

if you want to ride Daley in the afternoon that would be way cool. i will send you a PM with my cell number. i don't know what time we will be back up there, last time allison and i did a BLT/Daley double header we got to the parking lot around 3PM. if the sun goes down around 6 that should give us plenty of time on the trails. i am hoping to do the south/east side by the water tower, stop off at the ranch house, loop around through the valley, head up to the ridge on the north/west side and drop down through the single track.

hope to see you out there!
    I sent you a pm regarding Daley.