mtbr member

Looking for a 10-speed 32T chainring?

I am now considering setting up 1 x 10 drivetrain for my 29er build. Plan on running SRAM X.0 rd and cassette. I am looking for your input to a decent crankset or 10-speed chainring to complement this setup. I suppose I can use any crankset...just need to find the most durable 10-spd chainring for the smoothest shifts. Open to any and all suggestions...Thank you!
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker
    I am now considering setting up 1 x 10 drivetrain for my 29er build. Plan on running SRAM X.0 rd and cassette. I am looking for your input to a decent crankset or 10-speed chainring to complement this setup. I suppose I can use any crankset...just need to find the most durable 10-spd chainring for the smoothest shifts. Open to any and all suggestions...Thank you!
    There is no shifting on the chainring of a 1 x whatever drivetrain. In fact you do not want a ring that is designed to shift easily. Just results in more dropped chains.

Most any unramped ring for 9-speed works.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks shiggy! Just realized I would not be shifting at all up front - but I guess I'm more concerned about compatibility with a full 10-spd in the rear with the chain, cassette, rd and front chainring....So you say any unramped 9-speed chainring will work? If so, my job finding that just got alot easier.

I am also considering using a Straitline Silent guide - looks like a nice simple and light system for a 1 x 10. Any suggestions on a better chainguide? Thanks!
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks shiggy! Just realized I would not be shifting at all up front - but I guess I'm more concerned about compatibility with a full 10-spd in the rear with the chain, cassette, rd and front chainring....So you say any unramped 9-speed chainring will work? If so, my job finding that just got alot easier.

I am also considering using a Straitline Silent guide - looks like a nice simple and light system for a 1 x 10. Any suggestions on a better chainguide? Thanks!
    For years lot of riders have been using 10-speed chains on 9-speed drivetrains.

I do not use chain guides.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I should probably post this elsewhere, but looking at chainguides, as I think it might be necessary with a 1x system to keep the chain from bouncing off...

Looking at this: Top pic
    Paul Components Chain Keeper

* Mounted in place of a front derailleur, the Chain Keeper works with single and 1x_ multi speed drivetrains using a narrow chain. The chain block surrounds the chain as it meets the chainring and prevents it from skipping off.
    * Accommodates a range of chain line measurements and chainring sizes
    * Not designed for downhill/freeride/big hit use
    * The Chain Keeper BB attaches to frames with outboard bottom brackets. This allows the Chain Keeper BB to be used with full suspension frames, carbon fiber frames, frames with eccentric bottom brackets, and frames with non-standard tubing.
    * 69g

Bottom Pic:
    MRP 1.x Chain Guides

* 32-36T: 58 grams
    * 32-40T: 62 grams
    * Black or White Upper Guide
    * Chainline adjustment
    * BB-Mount only
    * Includes spacers for fine chainline adjustability
    * Looks and works great with a new MRP chainring!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'd hold out and get the new E.Thirteen XCX.ST (seat tube mounted version).
    IMO the actual guide (plastic) part on the E.Thirteen is nicer than the MRP, and I just hate the guides being on the BB.

mtbr member
    The XCX.ST looks really nice...but for $100, that's pricey for a single chainguide - you could buy the entire Silentguide for that

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/03/...t-chain-guide/
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not a huge fan of the price either, but having the guide mounted on the BB really does suck, IMO.

A couple weeks ago in a race some how my foot kicked the chain guide hard enough for the BB to come loose and the chain guide to flop around and get jammed in between the chain and chainring. Completely ruined the race, and I needed that race to win the overall. Needless to say, as soon as I can get my hands on one of those XCX.ST's I'm getting one.

EDIT: that's not the only reason being mounted on the BB sucks, just the reason that really makes me dislike it.

dwt
    mtbr member
    The XCX.ST looks really nice...but for $100, that's pricey for a single chainguide - you could buy the entire Silentguide for that

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/03/...t-chain-guide/
    MRP now makes a 1.x seat tube clamp mount for about the same price. http://www.mrpbike.com/product.php?s...roduct&item=1x

Good grief, you can run a cheap front derailleur as a guide for 1/4 the price - at least. It might look cheesy, but it's better than being hosed.

As far as bb mount, I have a carbon frame with a flared seat tube, and can't fit a clamp mount there, so I run a bb mount MRP 1.x - which is about 1/2 the price. I can't imagine how it could possibly move if it is torqued down properly. But weirder stuff has happened, I'm sure.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that dwt! The MRP stuff looks like the way to go....for pretty much everything. Those Camber cranksets w/bb and podium rings would be awesome as a 1x10 on my 29er hardtail build. Nice that you can order direct and I hear their customer service is top notch!
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!