Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Look Quartz Mtn Pedal / Cleat Modification

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ob1Hoagie 
#1 ·
Okay, for anyone out there that has tried these pedals and is having issues being unable to clip out of them in a timely manner I have a mod for you.
My previous pedals were Time Atacs and I never had any issues unclipping out of these pedals in technical situations so when I bought a pair of the Look Quartz pedals I knew that I either had to modify these pedals or they were going to end up on ebay. I ride in CO and AZ and if I can't clip out of pedals in a timely manner I will end up SERIOUSLY getting hurt. Believe me, falling down the side of a mtn "can" be a scary experience ! :eekster:

The cleats that I modified are the 20 degree(faster release) cleats. I could never get the 15 degree cleats to work me.

My shoes are '08 Specialized BG Pros.

The first mod was to the pedal body and the second mod was to the pedal cleat. Once these mods were done I was able to get out of the pedals VERY fast and the pedals worked great ! :thumbsup:

The pics below represent the mods I did to the RIGHT pedal and RIGHT shoe cleat.

The pedal mod involved filing away the "bump" on the inside of the pedal. (see red arrow) This keeps the shoe bottom from getting hooked on this "bump" when you twist the shoe outwards to unclip from the pedal.

The cleat mod involved filing away the upper right hand corner and lower left hand corner of the pedal cleat. (see red arrows) Basically what I did was shape the cleat so it looks just like the cleats from my old Time Atac pedals.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Can I ask you why you changed from Time?
Are they the same q-factor as time?

I love my time pedals but don't understand why they have such a massive q-factor?
I could easily drop 5mm from each pedal spindle and still clear the crank by a long way, and I run wide shoes.

#3 ·
Junkyard said:
Can I ask you why you changed from Time?
Are they the same q-factor as time?

I love my time pedals but don't understand why they have such a massive q-factor?
I could easily drop 5mm from each pedal spindle and still clear the crank by a long way, and I run wide shoes.
Well.. the Time's that I like cost around 160$ and the Looks were 98$

As far as the Q factor goes honestly it really never factored into the equation as I've never had any issues with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.