mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Long Cage v. Short Cage Derailleur

I have a fairly new 2005 Stumpjumper FSR with a 22/32/42 upfront matched to a 11-34 rear. The rear derailleur is a long cage XTR (this is the only non Deore/LX part on the bike - probably for eye candy marketing reasons since the XTR logo is very recognizable on the rear derailleur). I find the shifting to be fairly poor even while in tune. Maybe I'm to used to my road bike but there's always a slight lag in responsiveness. I'm guessing the problem is due to the long cage derailleur. So, question is, what rear cassette can I use that would accomodate a short (or at least shorter) cage derailleur. I like the 34 easy gear but could probably get away with a 32 no problem. The 11 is also probably overkill.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Well Mid-Cage Would Work Fine

MTB derailleurs aren't offeres in short cages any more but you should be able to swap it out for a Mid-Cage with no other changes.

To get down to a short cage road derailleur you'll neet to run a 30T or less in back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've run as large as 32t with a short cage 105 der. on my commuter without any difficulty at all, so the cassette shouldn't cause any problems. The main issue will be handling the chain slack when you're on your 22t chainring. I only run a 1x8 now, so I don't know how a mid-cage will do there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Short cage mtb rear mechs are for use with single or double chainwheels. For a triple you need a long cage.

Shift quality on Shimano XTR or XT should be super smooth when set up correctly. You might want to consider upgrading the rest of your drivetrain to match your XTR rear mech rather than replace it. I would suggest XT because XTR is way overpriced. I've found Deore shifters to be quite sluggish in the past and this is more likely the problem. Personally I'm using Sram X9 shifters and mechs, which are also silky smooth.

Who are the brain police?
    My '05 bike has a short cage (2x9 drivetrain).. Maybe its a medium since I haven't really verified the cage size by serial number or whatever.. but the jockey wheels are about as close as they could be, so I think its a short.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    Short cage mtb rear mechs are for use with single or double chainwheels. For a triple you need a long cage.
    Not so true. Short (SS) cage mech are no longer made for MTBs but when they were they were a fairly standard spec with a 12-28 and 24-34-46 gearing. They work fine with triples and will work with just about any drivetrain if you think about your shifting.

Mid cage rear mechs which most people now refer to as short cage are capable of handling any drivetrain combination. Long cage rear mechs are just plain overkill. The only thing they are useful for is if you plan on using your small-small combo for a long time or if you have a rear suspension that drastically changes your effictive chainstay length.

Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    Shift quality on Shimano XTR or XT should be super smooth when set up correctly. You might want to consider upgrading the rest of your drivetrain to match your XTR rear mech rather than replace it. I would suggest XT because XTR is way overpriced. I've found Deore shifters to be quite sluggish in the past and this is more likely the problem. Personally I'm using Sram X9 shifters and mechs, which are also silky smooth.
    I would agree that Deore shifters are sluggish compared to XT/XTR shifters. The lag is also caused as the original poster suggested by the long cage. Shorter cages shift much quicker and crisper, and comming from a road bike the difference is very noticable.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Got a picture of it?
    There is no listing of a short cage model on any of Shimano's websites.
    Hopefully you do have one as it is a great product that they should always offer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Not so true. Short (SS) cage mech are no longer made for MTBs but when they were they were a fairly standard spec with a 12-28 and 24-34-46 gearing. They work fine with triples and will work with just about any drivetrain if you think about your shifting.

Mid cage rear mechs which most people now refer to as short cage are capable of handling any drivetrain combination. Long cage rear mechs are just plain overkill. The only thing they are useful for is if you plan on using your small-small combo for a long time or if you have a rear suspension that drastically changes your effictive chainstay length.
    Ok, you may get away with a short (medium) cage mech, but that's not what the manufacturers or shops recommend for a standard triple chainring setup. I'm using a long cage Sram X9 and it shifts quick and smooth with no issues. I've never felt the need to try the medium cage version. Perhaps I might consider it next time - but I'll be back to haunt you if it doesn't work!

Chrome Toaster
    What you would be looking for is a medium cage, they don't make short cage MTB derrailleurs anymore. The medium cage will be able to handle your current 34 just fine. The only thing is the chain will be loose in the small small combo but thats never used. The largest it can handle on your bike while keeping the chain tensioned on every single gear is about a 32t max.

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    I would agree that Deore shifters are sluggish compared to XT/XTR shifters. The lag is also caused as the original poster suggested by the long cage. Shorter cages shift much quicker and crisper, and comming from a road bike the difference is very noticable.
    I disagree. I have Deore shifters and the shift just as well as a friends LX shifters and as good as the XTs I have tried. They have nailed every shift with a crisp smooth feel even under torque.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    I disagree. I have Deore shifters and the shift just as well as a friends LX shifters and as good as the XTs I have tried. They have nailed every shift with a crisp smooth feel even under torque.
    I find that quite strange. I've had loads of Deore shifters and find them adequate but pretty average. They never seem very positive, especially shifting to smaller rears. The XTs are loads better and the Sram X9s better again.