Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Long Cage to: Mid or short cage?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Red PeeKay 
#1 ·
I currently have a Shimano Deore XT RD-M772-SGS. This is a long cage rear derailler. I'm changing to 1x9 this season. So I am changing to either a short cage or a mid cage.

The question is, which should I go with.

Shimano 'saint' shadow RD-M810-SS. Short cage for ~$185.
Shimano Deore XT RD-M772-GS. Mid cage for ~$110.

Is going to a short cage worth an additional $75? I don't care so much about the improved weight. I care mostly about how the shifting behavior will be.

Thanks for your opinion.

#2 ·
Go Ultegra or 105

Ultegra is the same price as XT (~$100-110) for short and mid cages and the same performance wise.

105 is even cheaper and works like a charm too.

Heck, before DA went to 10spd its derailleurs were more affordable than XT :eek:ut:

#3 ·
I probably should have stated that I ride a mountain bike. The one I am converting is a Full Suspension all-mountain bike. Trek Fuel EX7 2008 model.

Do you think a road derailleur is really going to work? Will I have to change my shifters?

#4 ·
Yes, No Problem

Most DH/DS bikes were equipped with road derailleurs until Shimano decided to start offering SS cages in "mountain" derailleurs again.
They're made of the same materials and are of the same design. The only real diference is road derailleurs are generally shiny and silver instead of matte/gray/black.
Any shimano shifter will work fine with any* shimano derailleur.

#5 ·
I gave a look at the road derailleurs. They all seem to handle 11-27T rear cassette. My rear is 11/32. I think this means I will have to stick with the mountain derailleurs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.