mtbr member

Long Cage or Medium Cage Rear Derailleur?

I recently put on a bash guard and shortened the chain but am wondering when I am due a new rear derailleur should I replace my long cage rear derailleur with a medium cage and will it improve shifting ? I keep my drivetrain pretty clean and the bike currently shifts ok. Thanks for any help.

customized
    Sep 2003
    What size cassette? It will work and shift better, especially if it is the same model or better and new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    it depends upon the 'capacity' of the rear derailleur and you setup. to calculate this, you add up the difference in teeth between the largest and smallest gears of your cassette and cranks.

for example:
    *11-34 cassette: 34-11 = 23 teeth difference
    *32/22 crankset: 32-22 = 10t difference

*total teeth difference = 23+10 = 33t

most medium cage RDs will have a capacity to handle this. for example, a medium cage SRAM X.9/X.0 has a capacity of 34t, and an XTR M760GS that of 33t. (that's from memory, so you may wish to check)

the medium cage may offer slightly snappier shifting and less chain slap, and more clearance. but the differences would surely be small.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    I recently put on a bash guard and shortened the chain but am wondering when I am due a new rear derailleur should I replace my long cage rear derailleur with a medium cage and will it improve shifting ? I keep my drivetrain pretty clean and the bike currently shifts ok. Thanks for any help.
    You should be able run a medium cage with a double and a 11-34 cassette. It will result in less chainslap and cripser shifts. It will also be a bit higher off the ground, out of harms way.

ride hard take risks
    Dank he's right again!

mtbr member

Cassette Size / Make

Currently it is an XTR rear derailleur - 3 yrs old with a 10 month old 11-32 XT cassette but I just ordered a 12- 34 XT from Jenson ($39) and am thinking of either getting an XT rear D or a Sram X9 and obviously new X9 shifters....the old XTR is pretty shot so really could do with replacing. People tell me Sram is much less finicky than Shimano and so am prepared to give Sram a try. I also ordered new chainrings form Jenson 32 tooth middle and 22 tooth little. So really my questions are do I get a medium or long cage rear derailleur and should I spend the extra $65 for some X9 shifters too. Existing shifters are XT and work fine but 4 yrs old. Thanks again.

ride hard take risks
    If the XTR is worn out then replace it, XT's are very nice & the med cage will work just fine. If your shifters still work then replacement is up to you.