mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lo-Normal vs. Top-Normal

I currently have all Shimano LX components, along with a "standard" top-normal rear derailleur...the rear derailleur needs replacement

Is there any advantage to using a low normal type? Is it compatible with the M570 shifters? Is there any other pertinent info I should know about?

Thanks,
    Russ

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You can actually find a lot of previous discussions about this very topic on this (and other) forums. Do some searches for "rapid rise" and/or "low normal" to bring them up.

Basically, the spring in a high normal derailleur pulls it toward the highest/smallest cog, while the spring in a low normal (i.e. rapid rise) derailleur pulls it towards the lowest/largest cog. The effect of this is that with a high normal (or top normal) derailleur, the thumb paddle shifts UP, whereas with a low normal derailleur, the same thumb paddle shifts DOWN. In other words, with a low normal derailleur, the thumb and finger paddles on both the front AND the rear derailleurs shift the same way (i.e. finger paddle shifts down, thumb paddle shifts up on both sides). Note that with the newer "two way release" Rapidfire Plus shifters, the thumb can be used on the "finger" paddle as well.

Which one you'll like better is totally subjective. Personally, I prefer using a low normal derailleur with the two way release "Rapidfire Plus" shifters (I'm using XT, but LX offers the same behavior.)

All 9 speed Shimano derailleurs will work with all 9 speed Shimano shifters, so compatibility will not be an issue.

Larry

Chrome Toaster
    Do a search for low normal and you should find a whole lot of lengthy threads on this subject going waaaaay back. Your shifters will handle either style just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    here's the search results for "low normal'

ain't quite so cut 'n dry...

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=5864941

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    lalittle nailed it
    either you want to be able to do multiple shifts downshifting or upshifting
    I like the rapid rise, as youre climbing and get to the top, youre generally in a low gear, as you crest the top , mash down with your thumb and youre back up to speed.
    Others( low normal) like to be able to drop several gears at once. whatever floats your boat
    if you want to really muddy the water, the 07 xtr trigger shifts shift multiple gears with the thumb and finger.
    One other advantage to rapid rise is its easier to shift (gasp) under load , not that you should, but if you do...
    It takes a week or so to get used to the rapid rise , after that I wouldnt go back
    of course, there are allways some people who hate change and will never give something a fair chance

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by theRuss
    I currently have all Shimano LX components, along with a "standard" top-normal rear derailleur...the rear derailleur needs replacement

Is there any advantage to using a low normal type? Is it compatible with the M570 shifters? Is there any other pertinent info I should know about?

Thanks,
    Russ
    If you do not know how to shift you are less likely to bend cogs and/or break chains with low-normal than with high-normal.

Most riders I know that do know how to shift (i.e. started pre-indexed shifting) prefer high-normal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    here's the search results for "low normal'

ain't quite so cut 'n dry...

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=5864941
    ...which is why I went ahead and gave you a fairly detailed rundown of the differences in the first response above. Did you not notice that?

Larry

PS. Here is a search using quotes around "low normal," limiting the search to "Everything Drivetrain."
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=5865102
    This brings up several posts on just the first page dealing with this exact subject.

I agree that searching these forums isn't as easy as some people claim (which, once again, is why I DID answer the question), but you have to try a "little" harder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lalittle
    ...which is why I went ahead and gave you a fairly detailed rundown of the differences in the first response above. Did you not notice that?

Larry

PS. Here is a search using quotes around "low normal," limiting the search to "Everything Drivetrain."
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=5865102
    This brings up several posts on just the first page dealing with this exact subject.

I agree that searching these forums isn't as easy as some people claim (which, once again, is why I DID answer the question), but you have to try a "little" harder.
    Larry,
    I hope I didn't come across as a jerk with that post, it was certainly NOT my intent...

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful.

I have a "backwards" LX rear D on order from Jenson, and will give it a try, and see for myself if I like it or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Larry,
    I hope I didn't come across as a jerk with that post, it was certainly NOT my intent...

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful.
    No problem. It did strike me that you commented on the search issue without mentioning the fact that the answer was posted, so thanks for the followup.

I have a "backwards" LX rear D on order from Jenson, and will give it a try, and see for myself if I like it or not.
    Just remember that it will feel pretty weird at first -- perhaps more than you'd think. You'll find yourself having to "think" when you shift since you're used to the opposite behavior -- it won't be second nature right at first. You'll find that after a a handful or rides, however, you'll acclimate to it. THAT's the point at which you should formulate your opinion on whether or not you like it. I personally found that once I was used to it, I liked both the performance and the general "feel" of low-normal better.

Post back after you've tried it to let us know how you like it.

Larry