mtbr member
    Sep 2006

A list of Shimano XT and XTR low/normal/non rapid rise compatible rear derailleurs.

I'm looking to replace my old Deore rear derailleur. I've been trolling EBay and C-List for an XT or XTR quality upgade to go with my current 9 speed XTR non rapid rise shifters. Is there a list anywhere of the model numbers of XT and XTR rear derailleurs compatible with non rapid rise shifters?

Thanks for any assistance here, much appreciated.

PLEAS NOTE: I revised my question above to more clearly ask my question after reading the response below.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by GottaGo; 10-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    I'm looking to replace my old Deore rear derailleur. I've been trolling EBay and C-List for an XT or XTR quality upgade to go with my current 9 speed XTR non rapid rise shifters. Is there a list anywhere of the model numbers of rapid rise compatible XT and XTR rear derailleurs?

Thanks for any assistance here, much appreciated.
    Any Shimano 9-sp RD will work
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hard to argue with the Moderator, but why, then, do people distinguish between the two systems in their listings? There also is mention in different places about different spring actions associated with the two systems? Please explain - thanks.

Hard to argue with the Moderator, but why, then, do people distinguish between the two systems in their listings? There also is mention in different places about different spring actions associated with the two systems? Please explain - thanks.
    The spring pressure of high normal (standard) and low normal (rapid rise) RDs move in opposite directions but they work on the same drivetrains with the same shifters.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Expanding on what shiggy mentioned... Either version will work with your shifters (compatible). Your clickers would be reversed if you use a rr - a thumb click would change to a higher gear (smaller cog).

For xt... 771, 772 (shadow), and 761 (older) are not rr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder View Post
    Expanding on what shiggy mentioned... Either version will work with your shifters (compatible). Your clickers would be reversed if you use a rr - a thumb click would change to a higher gear (smaller cog).

For xt... 771, 772 (shadow), and 761 (older) are not rr.
    Thank you. Its the clicker action I was referring to when I said "compatible". Are there other 9 speed XT models that are not rr?

Much appreciated.

ups and downs
    The shifters are completely blissfully unaware of the RD type you use, there is only one type of shifter, the only difference between high and low normal configurations is the rear derailleur itself. Change the RD type and you change between high normal and low normal.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Thank you. Its the clicker action I was referring to when I said "compatible". Are there other 9 speed XT models that are not rr?

Much appreciated.
    There are no low normal or high normal specific shifters.
    Any Shimano 9-sp shifter works with any Shimano 9-sp RD.
    mtbtires.com