mtbr member

lightweight front derailleur 34.9mm TS TP needed

I'm looking for XTR FD952 Top swing, with top pull. I'm confused, the first website shows TS with either bottom or top pull, the second website shows top swing but bottom pull. THey look the same and are the same part #'s. Which one is really a top pull which I need.? Can someone help me in deciding which to buy for my new Blur xc? Thanks.

If someone can recommend something else that would work that's just as light and won't break the bank, help me out.

http://www.xoomgear.com/mountainbike...lleurM952/279/

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...r=xoomgear.com

Meh.
    SRAM x-gen is a few grams heavier, but shifting action is improved over the Shimano derailleurs. The front derailleur is compatible with Shimano shifters. If you want to shave some weight, do it with the rotational mass. Rims, spokes, hubs, tires, tubes. That's where you're going to notice the difference the most. Lighter weight also means less unsprung weight, which would ultimately lead to better suspension performance as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    SRAM x-gen is a few grams heavier, but shifting action is improved over the Shimano derailleurs. The front derailleur is compatible with Shimano shifters. If you want to shave some weight, do it with the rotational mass. Rims, spokes, hubs, tires, tubes. That's where you're going to notice the difference the most. Lighter weight also means less unsprung weight, which would ultimately lead to better suspension performance as well.
    Thanks for the input. I've already got a realatively lightweight disc setup with hugi240's and mavic 317's. My blur xc should be down in the 21 lbs range when I'm done. Just looking for a lightweight derailleur that's good.

The XTR is both top and bottom pull (and xoomgear specifies this). Found the info on SC's site finally, eh?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    The XTR is both top and bottom pull (and xoomgear specifies this). Found the info on SC's site finally, eh?
    ..that I did, thanks. Funny, I scoured through the site but could not find that pertinent section.

Yeah, the layout isn't that great on the SC site; there's too much flash sometimes these days. I also noticed for the Blur LT that they have/had a glitch and each of the faq questions is answered by seat post size.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I'd like to find a brand new one if possible, but that's seeming more and more difficult in 34.9mm. Ebay has some but used of course. I might have to opt for the m960 or the XO series, not cognac, hee hee.

Ski during the off-season

here's a posting with pix's...

Hi - Here is a posting from May '05 when I asked the same question:
    XTR - which of these is a top pull??

I needed a 34.9 mm, top swing / top pull FD for my NRS and purchased one on ebay, only to receive a buttom pull. I checked several other listings on ebay, and others were mixed up too. I took a pix of the one I received and grabbed a pix of another one listed as a top pull, and asked the masses on MTBR.com.

After reselling the first one, I ended up purchasing a used FD-M960 off of ebay for around $32 + S/H. Its worked out really well. I had previously owned Deore & LX level FD's, and feel this is the best upgrade I have made for my MTB. I use grip shifters (SRAM 9.0) and was always having to 'trim' the FD so that chain would not rub (common issue from what I understand with most FD's). Also, while they shifted OK, the shifting was never that sharp and moving to the large ring required a bit of extra work.

Shifting with the XTR is much more definite and am very glad that I did the upgrade. The only thing that I have noticed is that with grip shifters and the other FD's, I could just rotate the left shifter from the 1st to 3rd gear (or from 3rd to 1st gear) position in one clean movement, and the FD would obey. With the XTR, I have to wait for the shift to the middle ring to complete--thus, I end up making two distinct shifts (i.e., 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd). I do not have to do this very often, and more often I am doing it when making adjustments and have the bike on a stand. If you have trigger shifters, you will likely not even notice what I am describing.

PS - Funny thing about the first FD that I purchased (it was a fd-m950). I purchased it from someone in the military who was stationed somewhere in east Asia (he had a FPO mailing address to it was not too expensive for him to ship it). He was willing for me to send it back to him, but it was cheaper for both of us for me to sell it on ebay -- the person who purchased it from me was located in Brazil. It was a well traveled FD

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input journey. I'm still thinking about going with the m960 now. Do you know about the sram XO's as front derailleur.

As far as I know SRAM only makes one front derailleur, the X-Generation. Search for comments here on the boards, I think it's getting mixed reviews so far. No personal experience there.

An XTR would be a good choice as well as the XT depending how much you want to spend for the 30 gram savings; there's not much difference between them performance wise as far as I'm concerned.
    suum quique

Ski during the off-season

no XGEN experience - XT vs XTR

As with Bikinfoolferlife I do not have any experience with SRAM FD. I considered purchasing it but with the mixed reviews on it, I decided to go with something else. My impression is that the biggest benefit of the SRAM FD is that it allows you to have a totally non-Shimano bike Currently, the FD & BB are the only Shimano parts on my NRS.

Regarding Bikinfoolferlife's comment on XT vs XTR, I have read that the newest XT FD's have been redesigned to work similiar to the XTR FD's. Previously, the XT was just an improved model of the LX & Deore (lighter, stronger, etc. ;-) and the XTR was of a different design. Most of the MTBR reviews stated that the extra expense between LX & XT was not worth it, but if really wanted something better, you needed to go with the XTR. I do not believe it was just hype as I have experienced much better shifting with the XTR FD, and since I was willing to purchased used, I did not have to pay mega $$ for it. I forget the terminology used to described the XTR mechanism, but I am pretty sure the improved design was introduced with the FD-M952 (it may have been there for the 950 but that was not my impression).

Good luck & let us know what you end up doing.

Want to vent?
    I need/want a 31.8 XTR 952 TP TS and am a proud owner of a 28.6 and 34.9 XTR TP TS...........the terminology they use for the older XTR 950 series was differential shifting plate........i dunno what it means but my shop mechanic back in the day was excited about it after i bought my first one

........and i can say i have had no problems with them using gripshift rockets.....course i have had no problems using the XT 31.8 front der that is on my SC right now either....

I have no experience with the XTR 960 series ders but i think the tech is different than the 950 series...i know the pull is different since it goes either way now

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I'll probably end up going with the m960. I'm still awaiting a bunch of parts coming for my blur xc and then it all goes together. The front derailleur is the last of my purchases.

I'll post what I end up with soon enough.