banned

Lighter Speedhub in the pipeline?

Is there a lighter version of the Speedhub ever going to be made? If so, what kind of weight are we looking at?

I ride some tech XC with a lot of jumps and while the Rohloff is enticing, it's expensive and heavy. Oddly enough, the weight isn't what bothers me as much as the fact that it's going to throw off the balance of my bike.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Yes, but details are scant.

Supposed to be approximately 1 pound lighter with an identical gear range and a 200 pound rider weight limit, and a couple hundred more bucks on the price tag.

FWIW, don't sweat the expected "weight imbalance" -- a lot of Speedhub riders will agree that the only place it's noticable is when lifting the bike on and off the rack.

Rohloff USA told me to keep an eye on Bicycle Retailer for the scoop. I don't subscribe and haven't seen any online writeup yet, but very interested in anyone who does looking for it and posing the details when it's printed.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

banned
    So I guess heavy duty xc and light FR/AM is out of the question with this hub?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    So I guess heavy duty xc and light FR/AM is out of the question with this hub?
    Dunno, that whole weight limit thing is a little bit of a mystey. I mean, I can vividly imagine the forces at work behind propeling a clyde up a steep pitch in a low gear, yet drivetrain stresses vary by rider intensity as well as gear ratio, so then I begin wondeing whether the 200 pound limit is (a) too conservative or (b) too permissive, because it's gotta be one or the other depending on the situation.

But as for freeride and DH application, I have to suppose the new hub is good to go. These guys aren't typically grinding it out in the granny gears, and the most "stressful" gear on the current Speedhub is gear #3 (on the low end).

I really can't imagine the weight limit has any bearing to the hubs ability to support it (or land a jumper underneath a 200 pound rider), unless they went with some girly carbon-impregnated nano-tech woven fiber axle. Hmmm... then again, Herr Rohloff is an ex-Mercedes engineer, so I guess it **is** possible.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN