mtbr member
    May 2009

Lifespan of hammerschmidt bottom bracket

I have the fr hamerschmidt on a driver 8 and I love it. But today I was cleaning my bike and I noticed play in the cranks in a side to side motion. I took the HS off and the drive side botom bracket bearing is toast. You can move the spindle in the bearing . I have about 120 miles on it. most of the miles are downhill. Does anyone think this is going to be a common accuurance or an isolated one. Even with a bad bearing the HS worked flawless.

STS
    mtbr member
    the HS bearings are really big, so it must be a isolated case

anyway, they are not standard, so you should ask to the dealer if it can be bought separatly or you must buy all the BB

please inform us here with the result

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I called sram today and no there is no replacement bearing, The good news is they are going to warranty it and a new one is on the way.

mtbr member
    One thing that put me off on the HS is the drive side is ISIS, which are known to have bearing problems. Big spindle inside small shell = small bearing = fail.

SRAM went away from ISIS to the Howitzer which has external bearings, but I guess with the HS they couldn't do external bearings on the drive side due to the design.

Glad they are warrantying, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

i like rocks
    i was initially concerned about the BB and the crank interface myself, but holding the parts in my hand i'm VERY impressed with the workmanship and design, and it goes together very solidly.

i've only been beating on it for a couple of months now, but i would be very surprised if i have a problem with it anytime soon.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I hope this is not going to become routine .. Under warranty not so bad but at $55.00 a pop could become expensive. On the phone they seemed surprised, asked am I sure it is the bearing, well if by moving the spindle up and down in the bearing with out the cranks on then yes I am sure. I am glad they are going to warranty it. Sram customer service is great and I still love the HS.

Flaccid Member
    SRAM Technical is always surprised... I had a Truvativ Stylo 22 tooth granny shark tooth on me in 9 miles and 5000 feet of vertical climbing, 5- 6 teeth just bent backwards, from 1:30 to 4:30 position.

yes, they took care of me, but the BS that they'd never heard of it before gets old fast.