mtbr member

Life after Gore Ride-On?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new sealed/semi-sealed cable system after destorying my Ride-Ons.

One criticism of the Ride-Ons it that they're too stiff. I ride a Cannondale, and unless I cut them to exactly right length they rub on the Lefty and cause resistance. Which is really annoying.

I want something that's going to be:

- Flexible.
    - Sealed/semi-sealed.
    - Smooth.
    - Coloured outer cables, ideally green.
    - Good value (I don;t mind paying a premium if they're worth it).

A friend has recommended some Jag Wire Ripcords, which look promising. I am concerned that they're going to be too stiff though.

Help meh!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    the Jagwire Ripcords are kinda the standard "mid-high end" cable... I've tried man others and honestly, i'm going back to the Jagwires, the others don't seem to be any better at all for the extra $$$$ can usually find them pretty cheap on sale if you search around a bit.

when you say "stiff" are you saying the housing is too stiff during suspension movement or the cable running thru it has a stiff pull?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Jagwire also produces the Gore cables... but due to a licensing agreement (or something like that), Jagwire cannot sell the full Gore system under their name.

That being said.... the Ripcords can be sealed using the sealing liner (included). The liner isn't anything fancy like the Gore stuff. The housing is quite stiff though.

I have the ripcords on my MTB.

on the cross, I have the racer kit, which I stole some spare parts from the Ripcord, and made it into a semi-sealed system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    the Jagwire Ripcords are kinda the standard "mid-high end" cable... I've tried man others and honestly, i'm going back to the Jagwires, the others don't seem to be any better at all for the extra $$$$ can usually find them pretty cheap on sale if you search around a bit.

when you say "stiff" are you saying the housing is too stiff during suspension movement or the cable running thru it has a stiff pull?
    It's threaded through the gap I between the frame and the lefty. If I turn right, the cable will hit the lefty and then cause resistance, rather than just being push aside. It's really annoying. I have cut my cable to prevent this, but it's only just long enough..

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    It's threaded through the gap I between the frame and the lefty. If I turn right, the cable will hit the lefty and then cause resistance, rather than just being push aside. It's really annoying. I have cut my cable to prevent this, but it's only just long enough..
    I'm a little lost on what you mean,.. picture might help.. but anyway, ..most of the housings are about the same and it sounds like you just need to get the length and run correct,...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I'll take a photo of it tonight, you'll see what I mean then. I basically need the outer-cable to be a bit more flexible so it doesn't push against the lefty and cause resistance. The cable is really stiff!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Without pics, it sounds like the cable routing could do with tweaking.
    Also, you need to realise a stiff housing is often the reason for crisp shifting, especially given there is a liner (which tends to lead to more friction)
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    I upgraded the the Jag Wire's and tweaked the routing and length slightly. All is well now

The Jag Wire's are definitely more bendy (for lack of a better word)