mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Let's be brutally honest about the X.O rear D

Compared to the x.9, is the only "benefit" a 50 gram savings? I mean, shifting performance is identical, right?

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Compared to the x.9, is the only "benefit" a 50 gram savings? I mean, shifting performance is identical, right?
    I think the 'benefit' is merely in materials used, aesthetic value and weight. Shifting may be better but will be too small to note (Honestly!)

I have both, and wouldn't be too fused to be relegated from X.0 to X.9 or vice versa.

Trevor!
    Trev!

fly like a beagle

x-9

Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Ive had the X-9 for about 5 months and after the first adjustments I havent had to adjust it yet- Buttery Smooth
    Why anyone would use a Shimano is beyond me IMO
    Really?This things got Brakes?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    In a matter of months(or weeks?) the 2005 X9 will be realesed is surposed to be even closer to the XO and less like the X7! This means the X9 will weigh about 236grams, and be even closer to the XO in durability and performance!
    Just thought you might want to know

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    In a matter of months(or weeks?) the 2005 X9 will be realesed is surposed to be even closer to the XO and less like the X7! This means the X9 will weigh about 236grams, and be even closer to the XO in durability and performance!
    Just thought you might want to know
    So the performance difference will go from hardly noticeably to "really, really" hardly noticeable? What is the durability difference? I'm wondering if the price will go up for the 12 gram weight loss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There seems to be a durability difference...

Have seen in the last month three cases of sticks being sucked up by the rear derailleur and twice (on two different bikes) the XOs were undamaged and the hangers were toast. On the bike with the X-9......the derailleur exploded into pieces and the hanger was bent.

Unscientific.......but impressive that the lighter XO came away unscathed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why would anyone use shimano? Well because it's no better than sram and no worse either. My wife has been running her xt rear derailleur for 4 years with zero problems. When you get that far let us know.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks Fred...

Quote Originally Posted by fred³
    Why would anyone use shimano? Well because it's no better than sram and no worse either. My wife has been running her xt rear derailleur for 4 years with zero problems. When you get that far let us know.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I found an old used XTR rapid rise, you know the one with the funky spring loaded wheel, and it's been running fine for 1&1/2 years(50 miles a week). Shifts great w/long cage, hardly ever need to turn barrel adjuster. Of course I am into it $10, but sometimes you don't get what you pay for. They would have to put a gun to my head before I drop that kind of money on some Sram rear der to save an ounce, etc.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Markv
    Have seen in the last month three cases of sticks being sucked up by the rear derailleur and twice (on two different bikes) the XOs were undamaged and the hangers were toast. On the bike with the X-9......the derailleur exploded into pieces and the hanger was bent.

I can attest to you comments here.

Pre race a few months back, got one massive stick through the cage assmebly of my rear mech. - Hanger severely bent XO rear mech fine. Again, surprise, surprise after replacing my hanger I get another snag and the XO goes on working fine. Several sticks, falls and what not I am still using the same rear mech.

I did replace the cage assembly but that was becuase I had to replace the pulleys and the price difference between a cage assembly with pulleys and just the pulleys is $8......

I cant find a single fault with Sram products.
    Trev!

Inrideo est vita
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I think the 'benefit' is merely in materials used, aesthetic value and weight. Shifting may be better but will be too small to note (Honestly!)

I have both, and wouldn't be too fused to be relegated from X.0 to X.9 or vice versa.

Trevor!
    I have used both extensively and there is a noticable diference between the 2. The XO rules the derailleur market, hands down. Plus its completely rebuildable.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

willtsmith_nwi

SRAM is cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by fred³
    SRAM is cheaper, thats an objective observation. I personally feel it shifts better and requires less adjustment. Thats subjective, but the thought is echoed by many people who are sold on 1:1 shift ratios and loopless cable routing.

Why spend more for less ???

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by Markv

had my XO sucked into my wheel snapped my hanger folded my chain and the XO works like it was brand new
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was getting through XTR rapid rise mechs in 6 months, had an XO now for nearly 2 years, including one year of hard racing through a nasty UK winter. Very impressed!

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    I have used both extensively and there is a noticable diference between the 2. The XO rules the derailleur market, hands down. Plus its completely rebuildable.
    Whist my use is not extensive between the two (since I only use XO) I do think the difference is not like 'night and day' greater, but that smoothness is noticeable.

I would only buy the XO but I am a snob with parts

Rebuildable was one of the reasons why I bought SRAM gear.

I concur, nothing else beats the SRAM XO rear derailleur.
    Trev!

KCC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    FRED3, have you tried both? No? Then do not post blank statements. Most of these SRAM people have. There is nothing wrong with Shimano but it just seems that the SRAM shifts quicker/smoother/and with less maintenance, this comes from someone who lives in the NW were it is muddy and rainy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    1st choice: Shimano DuraAce RD-7800 (completely stock at 181g ...soon to be 170g )
    2nd choice: SRAM XO rear mech.
    3rd choice: XTR rapid rise

Bodhisattva
    Agree. My XTR RD is almost 2 years old & shifts as good as new. I have nothing against SRAM, but I don't find the XO RD to be any better. Besides, I like rapid rise.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein