bike dork

Left hand XT thumbie w/rapid rise rear mech. ?

I know this sounds like an asinine question but... anyone try this? I'm looking to maybe put together a 3 - 5 spd drivetrain for my Karate Monkey. I've got an old left XT thumbie (lost the rear shifter ) and a rapid rise XT derailleur. Thoughts on if it'll work? I also have a "normal" XTR rear derailluer as well. I know I won't have any indexing of any sort which is fine, just wondering if the shifter will prevent the der. from moving the chain around on it's own. Any input is appreciated, I figured this would be the place to find someone who's given this idea a whirl. Thx!

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    I think it would work as a friction mode only shifter - depends on how tight it is and whether there is any way to increase the friction if it slips in stock form.

All 26.5" all the time!
    It should work perfectly. You'll be pushing the lever to get in to a harder gear, exactly the same as if it were used for a front deralleur.

It would work perfectly with a low normal RD too, the shifter doesn't care how the derailleur is sprung.