mtbr member
    Jul 2011

left (3gear shifter) not showing correct gear indicator

before i start, yes i know my bike is very cheap, but i am starting cheap to get some exercise and lose some weight before i spend a lot of money. It is a Wally-World Genesis V2100 and seems to be pretty good for a sub $200 bike. as i get lighter and pile up the miles, i will replace with something better, but for now it is what it is.

to my question.

I recently had to adjust my front derailer becuase the chain was rubbing and wanted to make sure i didn't prematurely wear it out. Now, the gear indicator that shows 1 2 or 3 depending on cog placement is stuck on 3 no matter what gear i am in. Let me state that the gears do actually shift, just the indicator never moves. Can someone much smarter than me here tell me how to get this working again. i really like being able to see which gear i am in? Thanks a ton.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Put a piece of electrical tape over the gear indicator so you can no longer see it. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    gee, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    kingbozo idea is actually your best bet. I know you can open the covers on deore shifters with no problem to check for a stuck indicator. On the other hand, I've read where people had springs shoot out when they opened some. Many shifters don't have indicators. Just glance down to see what ring you're on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

what is the shifter brand/model?

Hi Jeff, if it's a no name shifter,probably it's broken..Is it a grip shift or a trigger type? If you not disasembled the shifter, it would not stop working after a tune...
    IMO, the gear indicator is useless after some time: you'll not change the chainring/cog by what your eyes see but what your legs feel...

Rub it............
    Stop looking at your indicators and just take a quick glance down at what gear your in.

I know I can't see indicators when I'm riding trails. Concentrating too much on the trail ahead.

wyrd bi ful rd
    I actually removed my indicators. After awhile you know which gear you are in all the time, and will shift accordingly to match the chainrings with the cogs to keep the chainline as straight as possible.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jhollon View Post
    before i start, yes i know my bike is very cheap, but i am starting cheap to get some exercise and lose some weight before i spend a lot of money. It is a Wally-World Genesis V2100 and seems to be pretty good for a sub $200 bike. as i get lighter and pile up the miles, i will replace with something better, but for now it is what it is.

to my question.

I recently had to adjust my front derailer becuase the chain was rubbing and wanted to make sure i didn't prematurely wear it out. Now, the gear indicator that shows 1 2 or 3 depending on cog placement is stuck on 3 no matter what gear i am in. Let me state that the gears do actually shift, just the indicator never moves. Can someone much smarter than me here tell me how to get this working again. i really like being able to see which gear i am in? Thanks a ton.

Jeff
    Top of the line XTR shifters do not have indicators....good riders don't need them...

I ride the STR shifters as well. I keep a running track of where I am in the gears...like big ring front middle on the rear....etc...

I almost never screw up....and I would probably screw up with the indicators as well, cause when the trail gets tough you don't really have time to look anyway.

mtbr member
    It should be pretty easy to tell what front ring you're in by feel.

Is everything shifting properly now? You can take the shifter apart and re-align the indicator tab to the inside ratchet mechanism.

I like an indicator on my rear so I know how many more gears I have in case I need a bailout on a longer climb. Havent had one in a few years but really liked it back then.