mtbr member
    Oct 2007

LBS installed new bottom bracket, now it's NOISIER!!!!

I had a little side to side slop in the bottom bracket and was getting an annoying creaking noise.......

So the LBS said the b/b was shot, and put a new one in. Problem is, the friggin' thing is LOUD when I pedal hard on it. MUCH louder than it was before they put the new b/b. I did notice there is a bolt missing on the non-drive side of the b/b. It was the kind that looks like that special tool fits, kind of divoted all the way around. Anyway, I know it had that before, and now it doesn't.

I figured maybe they put a different model of b/b in there but the damned thing shouldn't be making racket when I pedal hard.

What should I say when I take it back in there tomorrow? Is this something I can fix at home???

Its a Ttruvativ Isis drive.

Kosher Princess

Idea!

Say what you just said, and tell them to take it for a spin.

If that doesn't work, sell everything and move to Estonia.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    when you say louder what do you mean? is it a grinding bearing type noise,or a chain rubbing the derailler noise? could just need to adjust the FD, but if its missing a bolt I'd take it back

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    When I put in a taller gear and really get on it, it creaks and pops. That is the best way I know how to describe the noise. Actually, I've been riding out in da hood and I can actually feel it popping under my feet. Something definately aint right.

What sucks is before, it was just a little annoying, now, its like I wouldn't trust it to take it on a trail.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Dozier
    When I put in a taller gear and really get on it, it creaks and pops. That is the best way I know how to describe the noise. Actually, I've been riding out in da hood and I can actually feel it popping under my feet. Something definately aint right.

What sucks is before, it was just a little annoying, now, its like I wouldn't trust it to take it on a trail.
    take it back and tell them to put their good mechanic on it. they should have tested it before you took it

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    take it back and tell them to put their good mechanic on it. they should have tested it before you took it

Do you know if they could have used a different bottom bracket and thats why that splined nut is missing??

(the nut that was on before looks like it would take the same tool you would use to get the top of the lefty tube off.)

thecentralscrutinizer
    Splined nut??? If you can see splines, there's a problem. Maybe the bolt feel out already which would create a bunch of noise.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Make sure that the crank is tightened to the bottom bracket spindle. Mine came loose once and it made similar noise(s). Once I tightened up the bolt, noise was gone. I also used a little bit of lock-tite on the bolt to make sure that it didn't come loose again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Several things come to mind.

Missing the bolt that holds the cranks on??, louder than before.

Sound like you got a really poor job done, worst case is they miss threaded the BB and now you threads are shot.

I would go back and then watch the mechanic remove the new BB, then I would check the threads and watch him re-install the thing, and explain what is going on with the missing bolt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ok, I'm back, yet again................

The nutt that was missing was because they installed a different b/b than what was in there.

Took it back to LBS and the head guy took the b/b apart, regreased, retorqued, and it still creaks, just not as bad.

It
    Last edited by Vernon Dozier; 11-20-2007 at 04:57 PM.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Dozier
    Ok, I'm back, yet again................

The nutt that was missing was because they installed a different b/b than what was in there. They put an FSA Platinum b/b so that is why it looks different according to them.

Took it back to LBS and the head guy took the b/b apart, regreased, retorqued, and it still creaks, just not as bad.

They greased the single pivot AGAIN (Cannondale Prophet), greased the chain ring bolts and retorqued, greased between the rear derailer and frame, greased all of the cable stays and its still creaking.

I dropped it off at another lbs, so we'll see what they say.

It
    they're going to say" who put all this grease all over your bike" grease atracts dirt, chain ring bolts should use loctite, cable stays greased? the grease could attack the rubber & atract dirt which will scratch up the frame
    does it creak when sitting ? Id pull the seatpost and clean it and the hole then reinstall dry or with a very light coat of grease. youd be surprised at how the noise from the seatpost travels around the bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    they're going to say" who put all this grease all over your bike" grease atracts dirt, chain ring bolts should use loctite, cable stays greased? the grease could attack the rubber & atract dirt which will scratch up the frame
    does it creak when sitting ? Id pull the seatpost and clean it and the hole then reinstall dry or with a very light coat of grease. youd be surprised at how the noise from the seatpost travels around the bike

It creaks whether I am standing or sitting on the bike, it even creaks with the seatpost totally removed. When it is a low gear with easy spinning, it barely creaks, when I put it in the middle or big ring and a tall gear in the rear and really torque through it, it creaks pretty bad, not as bad as last night, but it wasn't doing this before.

This all started after I washed the damned bike, I bet I got water in somewhere...........

Meh.
    What crank is it?

Get your BB faced and chased.

Check any pivots (if applicable) for looseness or play. Check to see all wheels are adjusted and secured properly. I've had a bike roll through the shop. We thought for sure the noise was coming from the cranks, it was the front wheel. Check headset for play. Remove seatpost, turn the frame upside down (sometimes liquid comes out). Regrease and install post. Grease seat rails. Pull off the pedals, clean off the threads, grease and tighten. If you can get to the pedal bearings, give those a shot of grease too. (Or have the shop throw on a different set of pedals and check it around the parking lot)

I like to wrap my BB with teflon tap. Then use a high quality waterproof grease and fill all the frame plug holes. Then generously grease the shell and cup.

It's possible that the crank/spindle interface is just worn out.

Check your chainring bolts for torque.

Lube your chain too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    What crank is it?

Get your BB faced and chased.

Check any pivots (if applicable) for looseness or play. Check to see all wheels are adjusted and secured properly. I've had a bike roll through the shop. We thought for sure the noise was coming from the cranks, it was the front wheel. Check headset for play. Remove seatpost, turn the frame upside down (sometimes liquid comes out). Regrease and install post. Grease seat rails. Pull off the pedals, clean off the threads, grease and tighten. If you can get to the pedal bearings, give those a shot of grease too. (Or have the shop throw on a different set of pedals and check it around the parking lot)

I like to wrap my BB with teflon tap. Then use a high quality waterproof grease and fill all the frame plug holes. Then generously grease the shell and cup.

It's possible that the crank/spindle interface is just worn out.

Check your chainring bolts for torque.

Lube your chain too.

It is a Truvativ ISIS Blaze crankset...........

The LBS swapped pedals and that didn't effect the noise, I pulled the seat post all together and the noise was still there when pedaling standing up. They greased where the rear derailler mounts to the frame, they greased the rear pivot bearing. They greased the friggin' cable stays on the frame for cripe's sake.

But I really think it is in the B/B as it all started after I sprayed water on the chainrings after spraying down with soapy water. I know I hit the b/b with the water spray. (stupid, I know)

What is faced and chased and how much should I expect to pay for it?
    Last edited by Vernon Dozier; 11-20-2007 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Check your frame for cracks.Fork crowns often creak too.

Meh.
    Facing removes any imperfections from the face of the bottom bracket shell. It makes sure the shell is flat and square (like facing disc tabs). The two faces of the BB shell will be parallel.

Chasing is cleaning up the threads inside the bottom bracket shell.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 11-19-2007 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Facing removes any imperfections from the face of the bottom bracket shell. It makes sure the shell is flat and square (like facing disc tabs). The two faces of the BB shell will be parallel.

Chasing is cleaning up the threads inside the bottom bracket shell.

Awesome stuff, thank you!!!
    Last edited by Vernon Dozier; 11-20-2007 at 04:58 PM.