mtbr member
    Oct 2006

kmc x9 or z9000???

reading the threads about chains i decide to buy a kmc chain, but i want to know if the price difference between the z9000 and the x9 is worth it. i try to look for more information but i dont find whats different about them

...idios...
    As I understand it, the Z9000 is intended as an OEM chain, although, of course, they are often available for sale as an aftermarket component. They seem to share many of the features that make the X series such hard-wearing chains, they just have a slightly different shape/profile to the outer plates (the Z series has a Z-shaped profile, the X series is X-shaped. I haven't used the Z series myself, but there are a few people on MTBR who swear by them; inexpensive, very hard-wearing and shift well. I've used the X9.93 version for a few years now, alternating with the Shimano XTR, depending on what I can get hold of the cheapest. The X9 chains are easily comparable to the XTR, maybe even better depending on taste.

With a sensible maintenance schedule, you won't go wrong with either chain. Neither are expensive, particularly the Z9000, so pick up one of each and see which suits you.

Check out the PDF from the KMC site for the full aftermarket range and all of their features.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler