gran jefe
    Nov 2011

KMC MissingLink Removal Tips?

Spent way too long removing a MissingLink today. What is the trick? I pushed it (opposite direction of the pull it normally sees), but it wouldn't slide inwards and release. I eventually bent it beyond recognition.

Then, the ultimate insult was that another MissingLink in the chain fell apart just from the action of shaking the chain in a jar of spirits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You can buy a tool for it but I find putting some triflow on it and work it into it pretty well it comes apart much easier

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The answer to your problem. Works wonders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Technique: Squeeze in the middle of the link with your fingers while using the tool.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I was missing the part about squeezing the side plates together. That must be the trick. Thanks, guys!

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    I was missing the part about squeezing the side plates together. That must be the trick. Thanks, guys!
    That is the first step. I've never needed the tool. If the chain is really dirty, then I might clean it with a solvent and a toothbrush first. Sometimes the dirt can keep the side plates from moving in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Buy the tool that StollTheMusic references. I did it by hand, but ended up with bloody fingers before I was done. This tool is 5-star quality as you would expect from Park.

The tool is also helpful in reassembly to hold the chain ends together.

undercover brother
    I just use a set of hobby needle nose pliers.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I was applying plenty of squeezing force with a ziptie and a pair of needlenose and my hands. Squeezing the side plates had to be the missing factor, or some dirt getting in the way of the side plates moving in. Thanks for all confirming that it's not as hard as it seemed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Learn to do it without the tool. If you have to repair a chain on the trail you won't have that tool. It's very easy to do. Squeeze the plates together in the center of the link and then slightly wiggle the chain on both sides of the link together. Yes it's messy but I can remove the link by hand in less than 10 seconds every time.

official eMpTyBRain
    This helpful for me, too. I'm upgrading my drive train this week and getting the missing link apart has always been a nightmare for me. Thanks for the tips!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhymel View Post
    Learn to do it without the tool. If you have to repair a chain on the trail you won't have that tool. It's very easy to do. Squeeze the plates together in the center of the link and then slightly wiggle the chain on both sides of the link together. Yes it's messy but I can remove the link by hand in less than 10 seconds every time.
    It seems like an impossible struggle for me to get it apart with tension on the chain. However, remove the rear wheel, and I'll have it apart in seconds. So there's another trick.