Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009

KMC missing link on X8 chain

I was out tooling around with my bike tonight. It has a KMC X8 chain with a silver missing link. I cleaned the bike up a bit and reinstalled the chain ( about 60 miles on the chain ) with the same missing link. Is it OK to do this or should I be using a brand new missing link every time I remove the chain? Sorry for the rookie question.....

I will be ordering some new links to keep on hand but in the meantime I would like to be able to ride without worrying me reassmbly could cause me problems. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You will be fine, they are made to be taken on and off.

It is nice though to have some extras though, I've had to use mine either on my own or my friends bike from breaks that occurred on the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    +1 reuse the link, not only is it OK, but it's actually better than using a new one, because as the chain stretches (wears) the original link will also wear with it, while a replacement will obviously still be new.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009
    Sweet thanks !! I'll get some spares just in case but now I can ride in the morning worry-free.