Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

KMC Missing Link Problem

I took my chain off today to clean it (KMC 10-Speed), when I went to re-install the chain, the missing link didn't "Snap" like it normally does, but it did go together. I had a 6-Pack of KMC Missing link's sitting around so I decided to use a new one of those. For whatever reason, I cannot get the link to snap together at all. Is there a trick to get it together the first time? Or since the chain has about 800 miles on it, is it too warn to add a new link? According to the Park chain tool, the chain is not warn to the point to need replacing. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    put the link on the top (pull side of the chain), and step on the cranks, or go ride it real quick. Itll snap together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    put the link on the top (pull side of the chain), and step on the cranks, or go ride it real quick. Itll snap together.
    I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else experience this problem before?

mtbr member
    Check the alignment of the link - a slight bend will affect the action. My 10 sp chain had the same issue and I used some pliers to line it up and then it went on fine. The misalignment was barely noticeable, like less than 10 degrees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Check the alignment of the link - a slight bend will affect the action. My 10 sp chain had the same issue and I used some pliers to line it up and then it went on fine. The misalignment was barely noticeable, like less than 10 degrees.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I gave up trying the new link... It just won't snap together. I'll try this tonight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I tried pliers, still wouldn't work. Starting to think KMC might have had some quality control issues when they made this batch of links... It won't go no matter what.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just removed my chain twice, and the 10S missing link went together fine, but it didn't audibly snap.

Huckin' trails
    After a few removal of the link, it won't make a positive click anymore, but just slide in place smoothy. It's because the link also wear out a little and stretch, but it does not mean the link is toasted. When you're gonna try to snap the link in and it wont stay together, that's when you should get a new one.

I really like them MissingLink, easy to use and compatible across brands and re-usable a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    After a few removal of the link, it won't make a positive click anymore, but just slide in place smoothy. It's because the link also wear out a little and stretch, but it does not mean the link is toasted. When you're gonna try to snap the link in and it wont stay together, that's when you should get a new one.

I really like them MissingLink, easy to use and compatible across brands and re-usable a lot.
    It is definitely too easy to un-click for my liking. I want to put a new link so it doesn't leave me stranded (probably won't happen, but I would rather error on the side of caution). The chain is close to worn, but not there yet. I've tried 4 different missing link's out of a pack of 6. None of them will go together at all. I think I am just going to order a Sram chain and forget about it. I've had good luck with them in the past.

I'ts too bad, I really liked the idea of a reusable link, but it is turning out to be more trouble than it is worth.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    It is definitely too easy to un-click for my liking. I want to put a new link so it doesn't leave me stranded (probably won't happen, but I would rather error on the side of caution). The chain is close to worn, but not there yet. I've tried 4 different missing link's out of a pack of 6. None of them will go together at all. I think I am just going to order a Sram chain and forget about it. I've had good luck with them in the past.

I'ts too bad, I really liked the idea of a reusable link, but it is turning out to be more trouble than it is worth.
    And stop removing the chain to clean it. Not at all necessary. Lube and wipe. Good to go.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Huckin' trails

I have many KMC chains, including Z72/8, X8, X9 and X10, plus had a few Shimano ones and the MissingLink has been operating flawlessly on all of them, and has never came undone even when it just have to slide in place and don't click anymore. I think it's more the user than the use.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    And stop removing the chain to clean it. Not at all necessary. Lube and wipe. Good to go.
    The chain has been removed 3 times in 800 miles to clean. 2 of them were to get the chain totally clean before I used the White Lightning Clean Ride as I heard it works best to have everything off the chain before applying the first time. But I generally just lube, wipe clean and go.

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I have many KMC chains, including Z72/8, X8, X9 and X10, plus had a few Shimano ones and the MissingLink has been operating flawlessly on all of them, and has never came undone even when it just have to slide in place and don't click anymore. I think it's more the user than the use.
    This is what leaves me to believe the links came slightly off spec from the factory. I have spent several hours over the last week giving up and trying again multiple times. I am a fairly mechanical guy who does my own maintenance on my vehicles and bike, so it is pretty frustrating something so simple is giving me such a hard time. I assumed it was due to trying to add a new link to a used chain, but I don't think that is the case.

After walking home 6 miles in the dark a few years ago when i found out my patch kit glue had dried up, I always take precautions to not be stranded on the trail. The link that is on there is probably fine, but I hate taking chances.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    Last edited by toyotatacomaTRD; 09-28-2012 at 08:25 PM.

official eMpTyBRain
    So, did you try snapping the link into place by turning the cranks while on board riding? It works for me when no other way will.

I am also using the KMC 10 speed chain but my truck is a NissanFrontierLE/LB.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    is it a 10spd link on an 8 spd chain?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    So, did you try snapping the link into place by turning the cranks while on board riding? It works for me when no other way will.

I am also using the KMC 10 speed chain but my truck is a NissanFrontierLE/LB.
    I did the best I could, but my bike room is in the basement of my house, so I cant get much leverage. I will give this a try outside tomorrow.

Frontiers are nice too! I just used my same name from the only other forum I belong to...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    is it a 10spd link on an 8 spd chain?
    I'm running 2x10. Good thing to check though.

official eMpTyBRain
    I did the best I could, but my bike room is in the basement of my house, so I cant get much leverage. I will give this a try outside tomorrow
    Yes, that should do it. With a good full leverage crank or two (in a higher gear) the link should pop together.

Let us know.

dwt
    mtbr member
    You are not alone. I had the exact problem installing a new KMC chain. The missing link would not snap together no matter how I futzed with it. Luckily for me I have a collection of links from old chains I keep in a jar. A used snap link made by IRD went on easily.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...42&category=59

Have no idea what is wrong with missing link 10 speed . Since the IRD link worked, I'm assuming it's the part and not the mechanic. But who knows?

PS. I have a 9 speed with KMC chain and no problem with 9 speed missing link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

JKA
    mtbr member
    One trick I have used is to position the chain with the master link on the top as has been said, but then grab a big handful of the rear brake so the rear wheel can't turn and then step on the pedals nice and hard. It should snap in place just fine. Riding does the same thing once you put a lot of pressure on the pedals.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    One trick I have used is to position the chain with the master link on the top as has been said, but then grab a big handful of the rear brake so the rear wheel can't turn and then step on the pedals nice and hard. It should snap in place just fine. Riding does the same thing once you put a lot of pressure on the pedals.
    I don't doubt that will get it on. How do you get it off ?

JKA
    mtbr member
    I have some Park master link pliers. They work great. Sometimes a regular pair of pliers will work on the side plate of the link and sometimes a pair of needle nose pliers will work on the rollers to separate it, but more often than not, they just slip off and pinch my finger as I'm trying to hold the link. The Park pliers are awesome. They are about $10-15. If I need to repair a chain on the trail, I just break it and put in another missing link to get me home.

dwt
    mtbr member
    JKA- can you post the tool number
    for the Park pliers?

TIA.

JKA
    mtbr member
    It's the MLP-1 They are available at lots of online dealers, even Amazon. Here's a link to the Park website.

Park Tool Co. MLP-1 : Master Link Pliers : Chain

dwt
    mtbr member
    It's the MLP-1 They are available at lots of online dealers, even Amazon. Here's a link to the Park website.

Park Tool Co. MLP-1 : Master Link Pliers : Chain
    Thanks for the link. Huh, I made a pun

JKA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Thanks for the link. Huh, I made a pun
    Yeah, That was very punny.

mtbr member
    May 2012

This is how I do it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast