mtbr member
    Sep 2004

KMC chain, X9, X9SL, Z9000, info??

Can someone tell me about these chains? Experiences? Love 'em or hate 'em? I've tried the X9SL, and was not a fan. From what I can find, it looks like the X9 is still a very light chain. That's what I'm leaning towards.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime
    Can someone tell me about these chains? Experiences? Love 'em or hate 'em? I've tried the X9SL, and was not a fan. From what I can find, it looks like the X9 is still a very light chain. That's what I'm leaning towards.
    What did you not like about your X9 SL????? I was looking at that as a possiblity. My XT chain still does not seem to be as smooth as I would like.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It was super super noisy. Dirt fills the gaps on the links, and just gunks it all up. That was my experience.

...idios...
    As I understand it, the Z series appear to be the OEM chains that come on many new bikes within a certain price range, although they can also be found as an aftermarket option. The X series is KMC's main 7/8/9/10 speed aftermarket selection, from the .73 to the .93 and on to the XL (extra-light) versions (silver or gold).
    I've only used the X9.92 and .93 and would rate them both very highly. Shifting is very quick and quiet on both, they both feel very stiff at the pedal with virtually no flex, and they both have demonstrated excellent longevity, even through UK winters (road and trail use). Comparable and perhaps even shades it over the Shimano XTR/DuraAce.

Check out the KMC site for their own blurb...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    As I understand it, the Z series appear to be the OEM chains that come on many new bikes within a certain price range, although they can also be found as an aftermarket option. The X series is KMC's main 7/8/9/10 speed aftermarket selection, from the .73 to the .93 and on to the XL (extra-light) versions (silver or gold).
    I've only used the X9.92 and .93 and would rate them both very highly. Shifting is very quick and quiet on both, they both feel very stiff at the pedal with virtually no flex, and they both have demonstrated excellent longevity, even through UK winters (road and trail use). Comparable and perhaps even shades it over the Shimano XTR/DuraAce.

Check out the KMC site for their own blurb...
    What's the diff between the X9.92 and X9.93? Are those just model year changes?

...idios...
    "What's the diff between the X9.92 and X9.93? Are those just model year changes?"

From a performance point of view, I couldn't personally separate the two. I'm using .93's now because I can' t find anywhere that sells the .92. The .92 has black inner plates, whereas the .93 has grey inners, and the .92 was typically three or four Pounds cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Haven't used it yet, but just ordered an X9 a few days ago for my next build based on some positive comments from others on these forums and a nice price ($16.97) from BlueSkyCycling
    I figured, a light chain for 17 bucks, why not.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Good luck getting that chain from Blue Sky any time soon!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Good luck getting that chain from Blue Sky any time soon!
    It's already shipped. I've only ordered from bluesky a few times, but so far everything has shipped right away. 8 different items on this order and everything shipped.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Update on the weight of the X9 chain. After wiping off most of the protectant from the chain, I weighed it and it came in at 288g. Far from the 229g listed on BlueSkyCycling, but still not bad I guess. That's at 116 links, I removed 12 for my 2x9 setup to bring it to about 260g.
    Based on our weather around here, I don't expect to be getting trail time on it any time soon so I can't comment on performance.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I laughed at that 228 g weight too.
    288 sounds better.

I may jump on this one too. I'm not too happy with my XT right now. I have busted it 2 times now.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

...idios...
    Blue Sky have given the manufacturers weight for the X9 SL (lightweight) chain. Manufacturers weight for the standard X9 is 277g.

≈ > ♥
    I run the X9SL on a couple bikes, and their 8 speed as well. Awesome chains.

KMC makes Shimano's chains, but the pin mushrooming is better on KMCs own chains.
    X9SL is compareable quality to XTR/DuraAce, but lighter.