A REAL RIDER

Kink in my chain

My 2005 trek fuel ex7 has a kink in one of the chain links. It is noticeable only when spinning the crank backward. It will jump a tooth on the derailer. Also I believe this is the cause of the skipping problem that I am having when in fifth thru seventh gear hard. Tried oiling the chain but it still has a kinky chain link. What is the cause of this and do I need a new chain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Probably just a tight link and easy to repair...http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ct-5-ct-6-ct-7

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If it is indeed a tight link which isn't flexing then all is well. If looking along the chain it is bending sidewards (ie the metal of the chain is twisted or damaged) then you'll need to remove that part of the chain and rejoin with a proper pin or joining link. You need to assess then if the chain is then too short for normal use. If the chain is old anyhow then you might consider replacement. Be aware you may have issues with a new chain meshing properly with the other drivetrain parts
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

A REAL RIDER
    Thanks. I will try to fix it. The bike has low use and is on the original chain. I also think the chain is too long. Could this be an issue?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rearwheelslider View Post
    ...I also think the chain is too long. Could this be an issue?
    I wouldn't expect that to cause a "kink" in the chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    soak it in pb blaster

A REAL RIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I wouldn't expect that to cause a "kink" in the chain.
    No I know. I am asking if a long chain could be an issue in general because when I am in first gear(small front, small rear) the chain rubs the derailer.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    No I know. I am asking if a long chain could be an issue in general because when I am in first gear(small front, small rear) the chain rubs the derailer.
    You should not use the small/small combo.

Some suspension frames need "extra" chain.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    A chain that's a tad long isn't likely the problem. It' not uncommon when in extreme gear combinations like the small/small or the big/big to get some chain rub on any bike, FS or Hardtail. As shiggy noted these are not really usable gear combinations as they can cause rapid chain wear and are hard on the cassette and chainrings as well.

If you are only getting rub in the small/small combination and this is in the work stand it can also be quite normal on an FS bike. With the suspension un-sagged, i.e. you aren't on the bike, the rear suspension is fully extended. This puts a slight angle on the chain as the rear axle is lower than the bottom bracket and caused the chain to ride on the lower part of the front derailleur cage. When riding on the bike the rub will disappear. This occurs on many 4" and longer travel bikes. So check it and see. Even if this isn't the case it's not really an issue, that gear combination really shouldn't be used anyway. But it is likely that it has more to do with your suspension design than the chain being too long.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shift to big big combo any room left to shorten it???

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks. I will try to fix it. The bike has low use and is on the original chain. I also think the chain is too long. Could this be an issue?
    hay bud i have the tool! come over