MK_
    carpe maņana

King hub noise supression

Well, I've got two sets of King disc wheels. One dates back a few years, the other is fairly new. The new one is just about dead quiet, seriously. The old one sounds dry and is loud. I recently rebuilt the rear, squirted more ring drive than necessary, triflow, the works. Sounded fine for a bit. It has gotten super loud, again, so I took it apart. It seems like the noise comes at the interface of the splines of the drive shell. Application of triflow dampens the noise, but it is not a very effective sound suppresant and it seems to run off fairly quickly so the thing gets loud fairly soon after service.

I am wondering if anyone has experimented with lubes on that interface and whether anyone has been successful.

_M

I've got several sets of varying levels of noise. At one point I switched internals among two pairs of my CK hubs and achieved one noiser and one quieter and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the lube that I can tell, it's the materials and the machining and how yours fit together...or in King terms, pedal more.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    It may casue drag... but have you thought about using some sort of thin grease?? Maybe some Prep M or something?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I am thinking about grease. I don't know about prep M, though, isn't that formulated for things that slide, like forks, so inside of the hub which gets to sping pretty fast it could not be the best thing.

I greased it up real good last night with Ring Drive and tri flow and it is nice and quiet today, I just wonder how long it is going to last this time.

_MK

H8 H8 H8

Motor oil

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Well, I've got two sets of King disc wheels. One dates back a few years, the other is fairly new. The new one is just about dead quiet, seriously. The old one sounds dry and is loud. I recently rebuilt the rear, squirted more ring drive than necessary, triflow, the works. Sounded fine for a bit. It has gotten super loud, again, so I took it apart. It seems like the noise comes at the interface of the splines of the drive shell. Application of triflow dampens the noise, but it is not a very effective sound suppresant and it seems to run off fairly quickly so the thing gets loud fairly soon after service.

I am wondering if anyone has experimented with lubes on that interface and whether anyone has been successful.

_M
    I fill mine with a generous quantity of synthetic motor oil. Their website says this is OK,
    and I've had no problems. It is very very quiet. The only time it makes noise is after
    extended coasting. I think the key is to put a good bit in there, not just enough to
    moisten. I'd say I have at least a tablespoon of oil in it.

ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.