Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

K-Force Light loose pedal insert

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Pedalphile 
#1 ·
I have a set of 2007 FSA K-Force Light carbon cranks and the drive side pedal insert is loose. Can this be repaired? I can still tighten the pedal completely,but it isn't really rideable. The warrantly has expired.

#3 ·
I tried earlier this week but got dumped to voice mail. I didn't get a chance to try again. Didn't want to play phone tag. Never delt with them before and was looking for quick fix,so I would not have to switch out cranks from one bike to another. Going to try tommorrow.

#4 ·
I have the same problem on both pedals. Try taking a large washer with the inside diameter of the washer the same size as your pedal screw. Screw your pedal in with the washer between your pedal and the arm. The theory is that the pedals can't move if the washer is up tight against the arms. It's a cheap fix for expensive cranks. Let me know if this works for you.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks SPINSTOKED...I used a 14mm washer which fit well on my XTR pedals. Pedaled hard up some steep ups and did some jumps on around my nieghborhood. Seems solid so far. Put a washer on the non- drive side as well.

Pete- I did speak with a tech. He could only offer me a replacement drive side for $200 and would have to go through an LBS to get it. The tech was pleasant, but he didn't say anything about loose pedal inserts being a regular issue.

Honestly, I'm quite dissatisfied with the cranks. The chainrings were flexly and the crank bolt loosed itself on the first 3 rides(I used the reccomended treadlocker). I'm somewhat to blame for having "carbon fever" when I bought them for my Ibis Mojo. I had second thoughts as soon as I took them out of the box. Lesson learned....when the BB goes(it is on its way) ..back to Shimano.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear the crankset isn't working out for you. I have just over 400 hard miles on my 2010 k-force crankset, and no problems at all. The pre-tension nut on the non-drive side did need to be tightened once, but that's the LBS' fault, not a product issue.

The chainrings don't seem flexy to me - I'm not sure if it's because my other cranksets have potentially been flexy so I'm used to it, or if they changed the rings since 2007.

I was hesitant to put carbon cranks on a trail bike, but after talking with several people, my concerns vanished. I believe I found the information in threads here regarding older models having issues with the pedal inserts. If my set develops any issues, I'll be sure to post about it here.

For anyone who's wondering, the crank arms handle the inevitable rock strikes just fine (I live in New England where it's very rocky/rooty). The ends of the arms are solid carbon, not holllow like the rest of the arm (this may be a change that's eliminated the loose insert issue - not sure if the older models had solid carbon around the inserts).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.