mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm Just went from wide range Saint 1x10 to XX1. Wow!

I ran a 1x10 with Saint RD/shifter, RadR cage, and eThirteen 40t cog for the past 9 months or so and it was awesome. I love the multi-shift of the Saint shifter and being able to drop two gears at a time. Yesterday, I recieved a bike with XX1 10/40x32, and remembering my time with x9 wasn't prepared to be impressed. interestingly though, I ride Sram Red 22 Hydro disc on my road bike and have always run Sram on road due to it's awesomeness.

I started my ride with XX1 on some flats, then flowy single track, followed by steep climbs, and holy cow was it ever smooth and quiet! I was so impressed by how "clean" each shift was and how little "corrective" shifting I had to do due to some awkwardly timed shift. My Saint system was incredibly mechanical (which I love), but it always felt just a tad slow. The XX1 felt quicker and more quiet. I'm still getting used to it, and still miss the double drop shifting of Saint, but for this kind of precision and silence I'm willing to sacrifice!

mtbr member
    Nice. I've ridden bikes with XX1 a couple times and liked them. I never felt like it was in a different league that the SLX on my Trance 1, however. It seemed faster and more efficient, but it was marginal.

I also got to try the top end Shimano Di2 this summer on a Yeti SB5c.

In my mind, both the XX1 and Di2 shift very fast. I think the Shimano shifts faster, but it's powered.

Overall, I think what it means for me is that I don't get that much more out of the top of the line drivetrains than the midrange drivetrains. I'm sure better riders get more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffguy View Post
    I'm still getting used to it, and still miss the double drop shifting of Saint, but for this kind of precision and silence I'm willing to sacrifice!
    You should be able to do double and triple down shifts, just push the lever further.
    Although I've never ridden XX1, I do have XO1 and it will do it.
    2015 Stumpjumper EVO HT with XO1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14EVOHT View Post
    You should be able to do double and triple down shifts, just push the lever further.
    He's talking about double up shifts (dropping to smaller cogs in the back), which is available on higher end Shimano shifters.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by 14EVOHT View Post
    My X01 will downshift 5 gears in one sweep. But so will an x7, and everything in between.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like the Shimano triggers with the instant release and multi release, but I've never cared for SRAM triggers. I have XX1 on one of my bikes and I swapped the trigger shifter for a twist shifter.

My XX1 is very smooth and shifts great, but not any better than my Shimano XT drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    He's talking about double up shifts (dropping to smaller cogs in the back), which is available on higher end Shimano shifters.
    THIS is what I miss about Saint. it is really awesome, and I didn't realize how awesome until not having it. In terms of overall feel and capability, XX1 is still, imho, more crisp, smoother on the pedals, and just all around more "tight". I also realized that matchmaker is pretty damed sweet and changed the angle of the shifter body and now my brake and shifter are both "perfectly" aligned for my hands.