Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Just received XTR cranks, found some dings on it, possible damage?

I bought an XTR M970 crankset recently and i have just received it today. Upon opening the box, i found a few dings on the left side crank arm. Naturally, i called up the shop and asked if i could get a replacement, but they have no XTR cranksets left and so my option is to keep, or return it.

My main concern though is whether this damage is structural that can propagate to failure of the crank arm, or if this damage is only cosmetic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peternguyen; 04-10-2009 at 11:37 PM.

banned
    Amazing what people complain about. How much did you get it for?

Rub it............
    That is just horrible. I'll PM you my address and you can ship it to me. I'll use it as a display piece at my shop.

ups and downs
    That's right at the spot where any heel contact will wear through the finish in 3-4 muddy rides. The other crunch marks are from hitting a rock at the edge of the trail 2 years ago at a high enough speed to launch me about 5 feet sideways. No structural damage propagation yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Ultimated Outsider
    Mine got more dings than that on there first ride. Put them on your bike, they will be fine
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Amazing what people complain about. How much did you get it for?
    I expected to cop something like that when posting this thread. I'm not complaining, i'm purely trying to determine if this dent can eventually lead to failure. I was told that depending on the extent of the dent and because the crank arm is hollow, it may do this. Just like when a car windscreen is chipped, over time with vibration from the car, can propagate to a larger crack and so on. So, i'm simply just trying to find out this for my own safety, i would think that's sensible, i know it's small, but still, just want to be sure. Otherwise cosmetically, i can live with those marks. Thanks for your input though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    Mine got more dings than that on there first ride. Put them on your bike, they will be fine
    Got any pictures? Yeah, it doesn't sound right that these cranks can't handle a few dings. I'm taking it to my mechanic to have a look tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you are worried about it structurally, smooth it out with some very fine sandpaper and water. But as rocky said, your heel will probably buff it out anyway.

It could have been more of a concern if it was on the 'top' part of the crank rather than the 'side', but regardless, I'm sure you will be fine.

That being said, if I paid for something new, I expect to receive it in perfect condition. I don't care if it's "a tiny nick", or if "it's going to get all scratched up anyway". I will be the one introducing scratches and nicks thank you very much

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That is absolutely NOTHING to worry about.

It's a tiny surface ding. Nothing more.

The only "issue" is how @nal you are about being given parts with any sort of ding.
    Up to you if you want to send them back due to that aspect
    I would not be whinging at you if you did but I don't think I would.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    I expected to cop something like that when posting this thread. I'm not complaining, i'm purely trying to determine if this dent can eventually lead to failure. I was told that depending on the extent of the dent and because the crank arm is hollow, it may do this. Just like when a car windscreen is chipped, over time with vibration from the car, can propagate to a larger crack and so on. So, i'm simply just trying to find out this for my own safety, i would think that's sensible, i know it's small, but still, just want to be sure. Otherwise cosmetically, i can live with those marks. Thanks for your input though.
    ummmm...you are complaining--in two threads. The cranks will get worse than that on the first rocky ride. But if if bothers you this much, return them and get something else (and do NOT complain that you can not get another XTR for the same price).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

bi-winning
    If you are worried about such small marks compromising the structural integrity of your equipment, mountain biking is not for you.

Don't worry about those small marks causing failure of the crank arm.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    For the money that those cranks cost...I can understand him being a bit upset. He paid for a NEW product and it should have arrived NEW.

It's the principle of it. I would have told the shop they can have them back and I'd want a full refund.

Ultimated Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Got any pictures? Yeah, it doesn't sound right that these cranks can't handle a few dings. I'm taking it to my mechanic to have a look tomorrow.

Granite is harder than aluminum. I put a few ding on them from hiting rock while pedaling on my first ride and every ride since, Its a moutain bike after all. This cranks can take a hell of alot more abuse than that, you should see the last pair I took off, those lasted five years. I am to lazy right now to take a picture of them. If you can't take a few dings and scratches you should get a roadbike or you can call Shimano and see what they think since XTR parts have a three year waranty.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by xmangox
    For the money that those cranks cost...I can understand him being a bit upset. He paid for a NEW product and it should have arrived NEW.

It's the principle of it. I would have told the shop they can have them back and I'd want a full refund.
    Quoted For Truth

If I put a ding on my cranks, that's fine. If someone else does, its a fight. Especially my 4-600 dollar cranks.

Mr. Chicken, even if he was complaining for cosmetic reasons, good for him. Letting a shop or manufacturer get away with something like that is bad for all of us.

mtbr member
    If you take that one little ding, add about 10,000 more that size or larger, and add a few long scrapes and gouges, you would have my XTR cranks. I would ding a new set worse than that just installing them. Put em on, ride, forget about it.

If they aren't dinged worse than that after your first ride, you need to be on a road bike.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Thanks for all your input guys.

Look, when i first saw those dings on what was meant to be a new crank, i was annoyed, anyone would be, they're meant to be new and in perfect condition. But i'm always prepared to have parts get hit and scratched when i buy it, just that the cranks came to me like that. However, it never occurred to me though that it could cause any structural damage. Then i spoke to my mechanic, and i told i found a 'dent' in my crank arm. Maybe he had a worse image in his head when i used the word 'dent'. I showed him a macro shot close up of the 'dent' and he said "yeah return it, i wouldn't take the risk". And he told me a story how his friend lost a calf because a crankset snapped and cut it off. That just didn't sit well with me. I like my calves.

That's why i posted on the boards at all, because up until that point, i never thought that this would be anymore than cosmetic damage. If it just were that, i wouldn't post here, cause i knew i'd cop it from some. It's all good though . I know how stupid it must look. But i thought it would be sensible to post just to be sure.

I showed my friend, he said it doesn't look as bad as the particular picture i sent him, and we both agreed, it's hard to imagine that this would be a problem, and it doesn't seem right if it was, because then, why pay for a crankset like this if it can't handle a few dings? I will show my mechanic the crank arm in person so he can see what it actually looks like.

banned
    Doesn't look like a dent to me. It's more of a "nick".

mtbr member
    nick, ding, dent, scratch, or scrape, whatever you want to call it, it shouldn't be there on a BRAND NEW crank. no doubt on your first ride they'll look worse than this, but, you'll have put the marks on there yourself. if it bothers you, send em' back. there's many places to buy XTR cranks. get another pair and be happy with them. good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    PM me, I will take them off your hands for $150 and I'll pay shipping.........

Seriously, you're fine with that little nick. Smooth is so it does dig into your shoes and ride................................
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

banned
    How much did the OP pay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    How much did the OP pay?
    Hehe, you seem curious about how much i paid. Why do you want to know? I paid 530 AUD.

Live Free or Ride!
    XTR's are bombproof, they're fine. You'll have 10x more dings after your first ride. Although it would also piss me off to pay that much and have something shipped that is not perfect, but I wouldn't worry.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Heel rub, are you kidding me? I ride 5-6 days a week for two hours at a time and have hundreds of miles on my cranks....I have no heel rub...you need to adjust your cleats to toe in a little. How can you possibly be riding around with your heel hitting your crank...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIfreeDE
    Heel rub, are you kidding me? I ride 5-6 days a week for two hours at a time and have hundreds of miles on my cranks....I have no heel rub...you need to adjust your cleats to toe in a little. How can you possibly be riding around with your heel hitting your crank...?

Yeah I thought the same thing, just didn't say anything. If you're rubbing that bad you need to seriously adjust your riding geometry or look at your kinematics.

mtbr member
    if I spent $500 for cranks, I'd be kinda irritated if they werent in new condition. i probably wouldnt do anything about it but I can see why he wouldnt be content with his purchase

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast