mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Jumpstops and Chainguards

I saw a lot of 1x9 and 1x8 bikes set up with the Ngear jumstop and bash/chainguards. How well do these work? I am doing a 1x7 build and am looking at the possibilities. Maybe and old front der. modified?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebreeze
    I saw a lot of 1x9 and 1x8 bikes set up with the Ngear jumstop and bash/chainguards. How well do these work? I am doing a 1x7 build and am looking at the possibilities. Maybe and old front der. modified?
    you don't need the other two if you use a frt derailler mod (using the der. cage to keep chain from jumping).

the jumpstop & bash are pretty much bulletproof.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

SBK
    HMFIC
    So far, so good on my NGear/Chainguard 1x9 setup. I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, only 4 rides and a bit of gnarly stuff thrown in for good measure - without a single issue. The jumpstop/guard can be a lighter setup than a modified front derailleur, depending on the components you choose. Having some protection for the big ring at the same time you're guiding the chain makes for a nice dual-purpose solution as well.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

1x7

All right! Another member of the proud 1x7 crew. What kind of bike are you setting up for 1x7. What kind of shifters and rear derailleur are you going to use?

Doug

Defiant MTB
    I run a 1x8 using the Blackspire Blackguard inner bash with the Blackspire Ring God bash and a Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner. It looks clean and it works like a charm haven't dropped my chain yet...hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Here are some links of the inner bash (there are more, but these were the ones that came to mind):
    Blackspire Blackguard: http://www.blackspire.com/chain-guards/blackguard
    Dangerboy Innerplate: http://www.dangerboyusa.com/pages/dbproduct/bash.htm

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    [All right! Another member of the proud 1x7 crew. What kind of bike are you setting up for 1x7. What kind of shifters and rear derailleur are you going to use?]

I'm going to build a XC HT. The only things left to buy are the frame, jumpstop and chain guard. I have an old school, fully rigid circa 1993, titanium mtb that was a factory sample that was given to me and has been sitting in my parents garage for 14 years now. The geometry doesn't allow for a suspension fork. I tried with an RST Mozo Pro by cutting down the MCU's. Will become a SS. I'm using the wheels from that bike, Mavic rims and Deore hubs, along with Shimano 7 freewheel and chain. I bought 6 speed XT thumb shifters with the ghost shift allowing for 7 speed. Picked up from Jenson's an XT RD (sale price $49) UN-73 (price match $23) and Shimano Deore crank (price match $49).

I can't decide on a frame. Steel or aluminum. I want a light climber, but steel would be better for my aging bones.

Cable housing was full price. Everything else I bought for the build was either on sale, price match, or what I picked up NEW (except thumbies) on auction sites. I'm going to use the 12-28 that came with the bike. When I hit the mountainslater, I will go with a megarange (but will have to do some mod to use an 11 cassette).

ups and downs
    For those running 2 front gears this is an interesting option...

http://www.ajsbikeparts.com/web-AJBIKEPARTs/AJ's%20Frameguard.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images