mtbr member
    Mar 2004

juat rode an '03 epic i picked up--chain suck

sorry for the typo that should be "just rode..."
    it was fine when dry, but today i did a race that was wet and muddy--stayed in the middle ring except one hill. had chain suck 5 times in the middle and then once when in the small ring. could that be a worn ring or chain that is causing the chain to stay on the ring too long and get pulled up toward the stay? I guess what i am asking is will a new chain and chain rings likely keep it from happening. the chain was lubed before the race. but it was raining and muddy.
    thanks
    jim

I Love my Rize

New rings for sure

Sounds like you have a XT crank, just guessing. My suggestion is to replace the granny and middle rings with steel ones and your chainsuck will be a thing of the past. Alu rings are GARBAGE.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

yes XT thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    Sounds like you have a XT crank, just guessing. My suggestion is to replace the granny and middle rings with steel ones and your chainsuck will be a thing of the past. Alu rings are GARBAGE.
    I'll get new rings and a chain--am going back to sram

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    if you ride in mud alot Danalb is right, otherwise xt rings are fine, but rings do wear out, steel just not as fast. if you're racing do you want the extra weight?
    if you want a really good chain get a wipperman, it will outlast the sram by far