coffee

New question here. jammed chain with xt 760 crankset

So I've had an XT 760 crankset installed on my Trek Fuel for a few months (actually the original frame for about 4 months and a new warranty replacement frame for only a couple rides). I didn't have any problems with it up until yesterday (second ride since new frame) when the chain started dropping between the inner and middle chainrings, wedging itself between the two. It is very difficult to remove and takes quite a bit of force to yank/pry out. This happened 3 times yesterday, once just pulling my bike out of the back of my car.

Any thoughts as to the cause? One or more of the rings must be slightly bent I think to cause it to do this. I don't know much about getting the correct chainline however, and never did any special spacing on the bottom bracket during installation. Could this be a cause too? Any tips? Should I buy new chainrings? The current ones only have about 300 miles on them. I use an XT chain and cassette as well, all installed at the same time.

coffee

Cool-blue Rhythm

never mind. I replaced the middle chainring, which upon careful observation was pretty thrashed: one pick up pin bent, another tooth missing. I checked the chain wear, which is getting up there, but will wait to replace. Readjusted front derailleur and incrased b-tension on rear. Bike is shifting perfectly now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yup, good ol' chain suck, remedied with new ring. What did the ring cost you?

Larry

coffee

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by lghbnr
    Yup, good ol' chain suck, remedied with new ring. What did the ring cost you?

Larry
    $14.85, but I work at a bike shop. Our mechanic told me to replace the ring, I just hadn't had a chance to ask him when I posted. I was having other chainsuck issues too, but increasing the b-tension a little seemed to cut that problem way down and improve my shifting in the rear.

I was just disappointed at how few miles I had on the thing. I talked to another guy today at the shop who also wore out an XT ring in less than 400 miles as well. We were disappointed together, but it was a cheap fix. Those 44-toothers cost a pretty penny though! Good thing I rarely use it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was having some chain suck issues and replaced all three rings on my old compact Ritchey with Blackspire. Nice, but real pricey. Now it turns out my crank is bent and I'll need to replace cranks, plus BB. Real, real pricey and I might be stuck with the compact rings, too! Bikes used to be so simple ....

Larry