mtbr member

Jagwire Ripcord going full length from shifter to derailleur

Hey, guys. If somebody familiar with Jagwire Ripcord system, I need your advise. According to instruction, to run rear derailleur system I need 3 pieces of housing, going shifter-cable stop, bb area cable stop - chains stay cable stop, rear axle area cable stop - RD. Then there is a seling liner, that goes between housing areas and covers/seals naked cable.
    I'm running 1x9 setup and don't need the housing for the front derailleur.
    My question is: can I run the housing full length from the shifter to the RD and disregard sealing liner, cable stops, end caps with hoses and all other Ripcord hardware? Will it affect my shifting due to possibly increased friction?
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, you may run it full length from shifter to derailleur without problems - as many already do.

Bent nosed-ferrules can be a source of increased friction so eliminating them altogether is a good idea. However, I would advise keeping the end ferrules.

Performancewise, shifting will be very smooth and will stay smooth longer than if you had standard segmented housing, but will degrade significantly (I'd say about a week or two in muddy conditions in my experience).

Remember, the full length housing, like the Jagwire Ripcord system, is only splashproof at best. Not only will the inner gear cable be contaminated by dirt and mud from riding, it will also be contaminated by the clean water you use to wash your bike. Clean tap water is not pure water and so contains carbonates and salts that can fur up the cable over time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by standard3x
    Yes, you may run it full length from shifter to derailleur without problems - as many already do.
    Thank you! Yes, I intend to keep end ferrules and I understand, that this is not completely sealed system. After getting familiar with this setup and honing cable skills(yes, I'm a noob) I may switch to better sealed Gore Ride-On cable set.