mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Issues with Raceface Deus Crank/BB

Hi all!

I've been riding my bike yesterday and at the end of the ride I noticed that the BB was loose. It is a Raceface Deus crank and BB (exterior BB).. I went at the bike shop this morning and got it tighten than I rode mountain bike all day and now it's loose again.. Thus, I'll have to go at the bike shop tomorrow morning, again! Anybody knows what could be the issue (other than the mecanic at the bike shop did not tighten it up enough?) ? It's a 2007 deus.

Thanks!
    Cath

neutiquam erro
    I think the Deus is a X-type / one-key system... So, your crank is coming loose then (versus the external bearing cups being loose)? I guess first verify visually that the external bearing cups look snugged up properly against their spacers into the frame's BB shell. If so, then on the drive side crank, there should be an x-type extraction cap (it takes a 10mm allen, tightens CCW, loosens CW), but most importantly, there an 8mm bolt under it that is what you need to tighten up. The 8mm allen will fit right thru the 10mm cap hole, allowing you to tighten the crank up. That crank bolt works traditionally - tightens CW, loosens CCW.

If the ext bearing cups don't look like they are threaded in all the way, you'll need to remove the crank and tighten those up using a Park BBT-9 or similar tool.

It's very odd that the crank would come loose though, especially with the cap in place. I don't know how it would actually happen That crank design is typically all hella rock-solid.

Try seeing if you can tighten up that 8mm crank bolt.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

One Gear
    30-60# of torque is recommended to tighten the 8mm bolt. I use a big torque wrench and it's close to a 2 man job to get the wrench to click. Get it to 60# and check it for the first 2 rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On RaceFace external cranks, you have to tighten the 8mm bolt until it BOTTOMS OUT (will not go any farther, hits a hard stop). Otherwise the drive-side arm does not fully seat on the splines on the spindle, and keeps coming loose. It takes an insane amount of torque to fully bottom the bolt the first time, more than any other bike part I've ever seen.