Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Category Winner

Issues with 2X10 chain drop?

Trying to figure something out.

I've got the full X9 drivetrain. I have severe issues with chain drop. All the limits are set up correctly.

It seems as if the P-tension spring (cage spring) isn't strong enough. I can drop the rear end of the bike on the ground and the chain comes off the front ring no matter where the chain is on the cassette.

Obviously I'm dropping the chain to the inside and the outside on rough trails.

The chain is as short as it can get.

I've spoke with one other person who has a similar problem, but he is the only one I know personally with a decent amount of time on SRAM 2X10.

Am I alone here?

What am I missing?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    That doesn't sound right at all. Did you buy the parts from a shop? New bike? If so, take it to the shop and see what they say.
    Maintain internal heights.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by nixgame22
    That doesn't sound right at all. Did you buy the parts from a shop? New bike? If so, take it to the shop and see what they say.

New bike, I built it, and I've built a lot of bikes. The set-up is on.

My friend has affirmed the same situation after a year on XX.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ? Chain a bit long
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    ? Chain a bit long

Nope, it's as short as it can be.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the same issue with my x9 set up. Im a bike mechanic and cannot get it to stop doing it. Im going to cut my loss and go back to a 1x10 with a mrp chain guide set up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So, it is the derailer that is the culprit? I have been using Sram 9spd for years. I am in the process of switching to X9 10spd. Maybe I will give Shimano a look with a Sram 2x crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am starting to think it is the spring in the rear D. Ive noticed that over the past two months the shifting has become less and less solid. As in you don't feel a definite upshift like you expect from SRAM.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Our XCG will stop the chain from dropping inboard, but at this time we don't have any proper, tensioned chain guides for 2x10 (referring to bashless double cranks). It also provides bash protection.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sounds like a chain tension issue to me. If it is bouncing off just from being dropped, then it seems the rear derailleur is not providing enough tension. Has Sram lowered the spring tension on its 10 speed rear derailleurs to help improve front shifting (I don't know if that would help it, just thinking out loud)?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Our XCG will stop the chain from dropping inboard, but at this time we don't have any proper, tensioned chain guides for 2x10 (referring to bashless double cranks). It also provides bash protection.
    Does it help with outside drops?

I'm getting both inside and outside....

and it's awesome.

Not.

I thought about the top mount MRP guides, but that would still allow the chain to pop off the bottom and beat the frame to death.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Also...

Unfortunately one of the drops early on ripped the pin off the big ring making it impossible to pedal the chain back in place.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can you unwind the cage and alter the spring location/tension as you can on the 9 spd derailleurs? Might be an option.
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Spoke with the SRAM rep today. He said he was starting to see issues with the 10spd stuff. He also said that SRAM would warranty the derailluer if it was indeed the spring tension problem.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by marmoset
    Can you unwind the cage and alter the spring location/tension as you can on the 9 spd derailleurs? Might be an option.

Funny you mention it.

I remember years ago I read in an issue of MBAction (over a decade ago) that they had a suggestion to do that to a Shimano mech (either XT or XTR).

I did it then...

I wonder if the X9 has two separate spring holes???

I'll need to look at that.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by yoohoo
    Spoke with the SRAM rep today. He said he was starting to see issues with the 10spd stuff. He also said that SRAM would warranty the derailluer if it was indeed the spring tension problem.
    Warranty?

Sounds interesting.

Wonder if they would warranty it after I pull it apart and look...
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It would be helpful to see that in action, but I guess that a tensioner such as blackspire stinger or bashguard would solve the problem.

It is sort of normal and may show up with an evil combination of chainstay length, chainring sizes and chainline.

Are you dropping chains on the bottom or at the top? Does it happen when backpedalling - especially on extreme combos ( such as big-big, big-small )?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator
    It would be helpful to see that in action, but I guess that a tensioner such as blackspire stinger or bashguard would solve the problem.

It is sort of normal and may show up with an evil combination of chainstay length, chainring sizes and chainline.

Are you dropping chains on the bottom or at the top? Does it happen when backpedalling - especially on extreme combos ( such as big-big, big-small )?

I don't think the Stinger will fit. There's a pivot down there that would make things tight or impossible. That was my first thought.

It drops from the bottom while going over rough terrain while pedaling or coasting.

It will drop from any combo on the big ring.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I've been having a similar issue with my 2x10 setup. x9 shifters, x0 rear derailleur. Chain tension just seems like it can't be adjusted correctly.

I don't know if it is a derailleur issue or what???
    F. B. I.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kahiwa
    I've been having a similar issue with my 2x10 setup. x9 shifters, x0 rear derailleur. Chain tension just seems like it can't be adjusted correctly.

I don't know if it is a derailleur issue or what???

I'm going to be looking inside soon to see if there is a higher tension setting.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    An update:

I got out an old XTR derailleur. I felt the tension and compared it to the SRAM X9. It was noticeably stiffer.

I pulled the cage off the SRAM mech. I looked at the back. The spring does have a stop (for lack of a better word). There are five similar holes as well.

Stop.

Take a breath.

Call SRAM.

I tell them about my problem. He says that my issue should not being happening, and to get back with the shop where I purchased it for a warranty. Did and done.

When I asked him about relocating the spring to another hole he told me "no."

That's good enough for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issues with 2X10 chain drop?-sramx9holes.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    An update:

I got out an old XTR derailleur. I felt the tension and compared it to the SRAM X9. It was noticeably stiffer.

I pulled the cage off the SRAM mech. I looked at the back. The spring does have a stop (for lack of a better word). There are five similar holes as well.

Stop.

Take a breath.

Call SRAM.

I tell them about my problem. He says that my issue should not being happening, and to get back with the shop where I purchased it for a warranty. Did and done.

When I asked him about relocating the spring to another hole he told me "no."

That's good enough for me.
    How does the spring on the new derailer feel?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    How does the spring on the new derailer feel?

I won't have the warranty derailleur for awhile.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I won't have the warranty derailleur for awhile.
    Is Sram claiming it is a weak spring? You have me worried. I am picking up my X9 setup today.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    Is Sram claiming it is a weak spring? You have me worried. I am picking up my X9 setup today.

I was told this could be my problem.

I asked if this was common.

The answer was "no."
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast