Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Issue Shifting to from 9th to 8th Cog on 9 speed cassete

Okay I got a new slx 9 speed derauiller and deore 9 speed shifters and 9 speed sram cassette. Everything was installed and worked great and is less then a month old. For some reason I am now having some hesitation shifting from the 9th cog to the 8th cog (second smallest).

From what I remember it shifted almost instantaneously (about a quarter of a pedal rotation). Now it seems to click and hesitate a bit but still shifts but it takes almost a full pedal rotation). I cant seem to figure it out. I have tried everything. At this point I even replaced the cable housing and housing end caps and installed new cable all together and still the issue persists. I took the hanger off as well and laid it on a piece of glass its perfectly straight no bends.

All other shifting is crisp and perfect it just that one shift. The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe there is a issue with the shifter itself and its not clicking and locking far enough to put the derailleur in the correct position.

One other thing to note. Turning the barrel adjuster counter clockwise seems to have no effect at all on this particular gear shift it does not make the shift quicker which I always remember it doing before. Even if I turn it further then it should be it still the same delay in the 9th to 8th cog shift. It definitely effects all the other gears though so I know its working.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    I took the hanger off as well and laid it on a piece of glass its perfectly straight no bends.
    That has very little to do with whether or not it is straight on the bike but I don't think the hanger is your problem, tightening the cable should definitely quicken that shift though. Mysterious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Try adjusting your high limit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I tried the high limit. Why would that effect going to the second smallest cog though?

Even if I make the high limit so tight that it barely shifts to the smallest cog it still has a delay when shifting down to the the second smallest cog.

This is driving me nuts haha. Unless I bent something when I was reattaching the new cables.

The chain is a month old as well, you dont think a chain issue would be causing this do you?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Okay I got a new slx 9 speed derauiller and deore 9 speed shifters and 9 speed sram cassette. Everything was installed and worked great and is less then a month old. For some reason I am now having some hesitation shifting from the 9th cog to the 8th cog (second smallest).

From what I remember it shifted almost instantaneously (about a quarter of a pedal rotation). Now it seems to click and hesitate a bit but still shifts but it takes almost a full pedal rotation). I cant seem to figure it out. I have tried everything. At this point I even replaced the cable housing and housing end caps and installed new cable all together and still the issue persists. I took the hanger off as well and laid it on a piece of glass its perfectly straight no bends.

All other shifting is crisp and perfect it just that one shift. The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe there is a issue with the shifter itself and its not clicking and locking far enough to put the derailleur in the correct position.

One other thing to note. Turning the barrel adjuster counter clockwise seems to have no effect at all on this particular gear shift it does not make the shift quicker which I always remember it doing before. Even if I turn it further then it should be it still the same delay in the 9th to 8th cog shift. It definitely effects all the other gears though so I know its working.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Loosen and reset the cable. Readjust the indexing.

Check the high limit while the cable is disconnected.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    yea did all that multiple times. I'm wondering if the shifter is just not clicking into the exact right position or something.

yea did all that multiple times. I'm wondering if the shifter is just not clicking into the exact right position or something.
    Then you need to realign the hanger--on the bike, with the proper tool--and do it again.

Still betting on a basic setup issue.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I will try redoing everything again when I get home. If it doesn't work after that I guess Ill have to take it to the shop and let them realign since I don't have the tool. Would the B tension screw cause an issue like this?

Would the B tension screw cause an issue like this?
    Maybe.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    it just seems weird to me turning tightening the cable has no effect on that one particular down shift.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a old hanger that is the same type that the bike shop straightened out for me in the past using that tool that I can try as well. At least then Ill have an idea if it has something to do with it.

it just seems weird to me turning tightening the cable has no effect on that one particular down shift.
    Incorrect base cable position does that.
    mtbtires.com

I have a old hanger that is the same type that the bike shop straightened out for me in the past using that tool that I can try as well. At least then Ill have an idea if it has something to do with it.
    I would not bother. No guaranty it is still straight when mounted.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    even if it was on this bike frame? They straightened it and everything worked then I replaced it with a one I ordered from cannondale that was never bent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Incorrect base cable position does that.
    When you say base cable position do you mean base tension? Can you explain in more detail?

even if it was on this bike frame? They straightened it and everything worked then I replaced it with a one I ordered from cannondale that was never bent.
    Yup, though if you never aligned the new hanger it was likely misaligned from day one.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Yup, though if you never aligned the new hanger it was likely misaligned from day one.
    I had no idea you had to align a hanger if it was brand new.

When you say base cable position do you mean base tension? Can you explain in more detail?
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...nts-derailleur
    Scroll down to "Index Setting"

I will add, if it takes more than a few clicks of the barrel adjuster to make the first shift, you need to completely release the shifter, disconnect the cable from the RD. Run the barrel adjuster out 1-1.5 full turns from all the way in. Then pull the cable snug and reattach.

I like to do the fine tune (as mentioned on the Park site) on the third smallest cog, after making sure it took 2 clicks of the shifter to get there.
    mtbtires.com

I had no idea you had to align a hanger if it was brand new.
    It should ALWAYS be checked. Hangers can be off, and so can the frame.

Some new hangers will be perfect. Some will be WAY off.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yea I have followed all those instructions perfectly. The shift works in about one full rotation of the pedals but I know it was much shorter before. Turning the barrel adjuster is not making the shift from 9th to 8th any quicker tho. The shift from 8th to 7th is like butter. The issue is only getting from the 9th to 8th cog for some reason. It wasn't like this before and just started happening which is why I am confused.

I followed those directions to a T, and I have setup this bike numerous times so I am pretty familiar with those instructions you linked. That is why I am so baffled.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Maybe when I tightened the bolt down for the cable I did it to hard and bent the hanger slightly. I guess it would be worth it to take to the bike shop and have them align the hanger.

Yea I have followed all those instructions perfectly. The shift works in about one full rotation of the pedals but I know it was much shorter before. Turning the barrel adjuster is not making the shift from 9th to 8th any quicker tho. The shift from 8th to 7th is like butter. The issue is only getting from the 9th to 8th cog for some reason. It wasn't like this before and just started happening which is why I am confused.

I followed those directions to a T, and I have setup this bike numerous times so I am pretty familiar with those instructions you linked. That is why I am so baffled.
    Classic bent hanger symptoms.

But many times I have also seen this issue fixed using the addendum I posted.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Is this a SRAM d?

If so the newer 9spd ones seem a bit cheaper than they used to be and can get a little wiggle @ the base. If you push/pull on it twards the cassette you will be able to tell if it has play there.

Squaring the hangar to the wheel doesn't help all the time, can be a bit of a ***** aligning the hanger so the d is squared to the wheel if you have to remove the d to adj the hanger

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    its actually a shimano SLX D.

mtbr member
    You have probably already seen this but give it a quick read. I thought I understood everything and was still missing a few basics. Derailer Adjustment
    This also helped me Bicycle Maintenance: How To Adjust a Rear Derailleur - YouTube
    It honestly sounds like your just not setting your low screw adjustment correctly or maybe your index screw is off. If your indexing screw is not set correctly the teeth on your gears will interfear with each other. If they are new cables I would imagine they are gonna stretch a little and need some fine tunning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast