Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

isis replacement cranks

970 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rockyuphill 
#1 ·
My bottom bracket finally bit it yesterday and seized up. Realized I have a 68mm shell with 108mm spindle...my Race Face cranks from 2005 (I guess 3 years is a millennium in bike time for improvements) only fit that size spindle.

It's tough to find a quality bb at that size nowadays, so I was thinking of a simple upgrade to get a 113mm bb and cranks for that size since i just put on new rings. Any ideas for cranks rather than a whole new crankset (race face atlas cranks were almost the same cost as the set)?
I was looking at Middleburn RS7s but way $$$$, and I don't want to go to Shimano because Shimano has their own ring sizes and i just threw on new rings. Unless i find a good 108mm bb, looks like a whole new drivetrain upgrade. :D I swear this industry and the new standards...I'm surprised a whole new standard isn't out already to make external bbs obsolete.

#3 ·
It'll give you a 50.5mm chainline with the extra 2.5mm of spindle length on the driveside. The standard ISIS RF chainline was 48mm. So you'd need to adjust the high and low limit screws on the front derailleur with the longer spindle. SRAM's Truvativ Noir 3.3 crankset uses a 51mm chainline so it's not that big a deal.

It's not that hard to find decent 108mm spindle ISIS BB's, that's the common road ISIS size. Race Face still makes the 108mm in the Evolve SRX, Truvativ still makes the Gigapipe in 108 and 113, Crank Bros do the Cobalt (113mm) in Cyan (108mm) ISIS BB's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.