mtbr member
    Jan 2004

isis or outboard bearing

I want to replace a crank on one of my bikes. I already have a new isis bottom bracket but not the crank. Should I get a isis crank (they seem reasonable and around or under 100.00 or I have seen lx outboard bearing cranks for 121.00

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    I want to replace a crank on one of my bikes. I already have a new isis bottom bracket but not the crank. Should I get a isis crank (they seem reasonable and around or under 100.00 or I have seen lx outboard bearing cranks for 121.00
    What bottom bracket you got?

Mnte

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Having just switched from an ISIS to an outboard bearing setup I can say the outbaord setup feels much more solid and I feel allowed much better spinning during steep ascents. I went from a Truvativ ISIS crank to a Shimano XT crank, well worth it IMO.
    AKA: Slowfatguy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    eBay the isis BB and jump on that LX crank.

Meh.
    Go for the outboard. ISIS doesn't last more than a few months for me. Outboard is able to use much bigger bearings, it will be more durable and it will be stiffer as well since they are able to use a larger axle and one end is fixed to the crank.

Don't do the isis thing, go for that lx and sell the bb to make it come out even (and down the line you'll save on bb's).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

what about chainline

I am somewhat concerned about the chainline. I generally use the 3 or 4 largest cogs when I am in the middle ring. Will this be a problem. This could be a large cossover if the chain line is moved farther away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    I am somewhat concerned about the chainline. I generally use the 3 or 4 largest cogs when I am in the middle ring. Will this be a problem. This could be a large cossover if the chain line is moved farther away.
    I personally have not had a problem after upgrading to RaceFace Deus. I use the middle ring 90% of the time and use my big cogs quite oftten. I have a sugar.