Thread: ISIS cranks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

ISIS cranks

I managed to mess up the thread on my crank on the side of one pedal by riding it and hitting it hard when it was not screwed all the way in. I need to get new ones and I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I do 'all-mountain' riding, so the cranks should be strong but not too heavy. I have a Balfa 2-step FR. My cranks and bracket are ISIS type RPM CK-700.

I had a few cranks in mind:
    -Race Face Evolve XC
    -DMR Crisis (doesn't come with bracket or rings, will mine fit?)
    -Truvativ Firex ISIS
    -Truvativ Hasselfelt (again doesn't come with the bracket or rings)
    -Truvativ Stylo
    -Truvativ Husselfelt

Not too sure of what to go for really. Don't want the RPMs again, something better, but decently priced.

And I think I'll go for 170mm length. My previous RPMs were 175mm and they kept on hitting the ground and I prefer pedalling fast; spinning style with clipless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Any ideas? If I get cranks that come with bearings, will it fit my bike for sure or are there different standards?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Any ISIS drive crank set....

will fit your current set up. If you decide to go with any of the Truvative GXP or Race Face X Type external bearing cranks you'll need to get the COMPLETE set. Your current system is not compatable. However, unless Balfa uses a totaly off the wall bb housing width or chain line, any external bearing bb system should work on your bike.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Take this as an oportunity to ditch ISIS drive. It's a poor design, the bb's just don't last. I'd consider Shimano LX or XT Hollowtech II over any of your picks, hard to beat them for the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Take this as an oportunity to ditch ISIS drive. It's a poor design, the bb's just don't last. I'd consider Shimano LX or XT Hollowtech II over any of your picks, hard to beat them for the price.
    What about the shimano hones? Aren't they heavier versions of LX? The Hone's look a lot cooler as well.

Right now I'm trying to decide over Hone and XT. Am I right in thinking that XT is geared more towards XC due to its low weight and Hone is stronger so for 'all mountain' riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What about the Shimano Hone cranks? Are they heavier and stronger than XT then?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Heavier yes, stronger, I don't know. They do have steel inserts on the pedal threads IIRC which may make them more durable, though I've never heard of people having problems with striped threads on new shimano cranks. Hone is nearly identical to LX, again with the thread inserts, perhaps a stronger axle as well?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Heavier yes, stronger, I don't know. They do have steel inserts on the pedal threads IIRC which may make them more durable, though I've never heard of people having problems with striped threads on new shimano cranks. Hone is nearly identical to LX, again with the thread inserts, perhaps a stronger axle as well?
    Allright thanks. Ordered them already and they are being installed right now so hope they work well! They look good with bright red DMR pedals and my red balfa frame.