Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

ISIS bb, FSA vs Race Face

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  gmoss 
#1 ·
Time to replace my BB. How do these compare? I have a Race Face now that has served me well, but current prices have me looking at other brands. Anyone run the FSA? Before chunking down $50 to $70, I would like to know that it is justified. I am looking at the cross country versions.

thanks.

#3 ·
I used to think Race Face products were the bomb but now I have my doubts. Recently removed my 1.5 year old Race Face Signature XS ISIS to inject grease into the grease ports and after doing so the bearings felt soooo gritty. Obvious contamination. Replaced with another Signature and on this one the bearings were incredibly tight, more than just the "brand new" tight feel some new bottom brackets have.

Decided to put on the FSA Platinum Pro (liked that I did not have to put a spacer on the drive side on this model for my 68mm shell). Easy install, smooth spin and after approx. 6 months of use, no problems at all and no creaks. The consumer product reviews for this bottom bracket aren't all that great but they're lousy for all ISIS bottom brackets. Again, no issues at all for me!

#4 ·
I had an RF signature ti that lasted several years. After that, I was going through one every couple of months on my SS. I've been on an SKF for a year now with no problems. Check out the SKF BXC bottom brackets for about the same price point you're looking for.

#7 ·
The best ISIS bb is the cheapest FSA model... the Platinum. Doesn't use cartridge bearings but instead runs bigger balls directly on the spindle like the older Ultegra and XT octalink units. Greatly increases durability.

Yes it's heavy, about 20g heavier than the PP. So if weight is more important than durability (not that there's anything wrong with that) then the Platinum Pro and the Platinum Pro Ti are better choices.

JMH

#8 ·
JMH said:
The best ISIS bb is the cheapest FSA model... the Platinum. Doesn't use cartridge bearings but instead runs bigger balls directly on the spindle like the older Ultegra and XT octalink units. Greatly increases durability.

Yes it's heavy, about 20g heavier than the PP. So if weight is more important than durability (not that there's anything wrong with that) then the Platinum Pro and the Platinum Pro Ti are better choices.

JMH
now ya tell me! lol funny how the more expensive item isn't always the best choice. I am sure the PP will hold up for what I will throw at it. My RF has lasted me 5 + years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.