mtbr member
    Aug 2007

ISIS BB conversion?

My bike came with a ISIS BB from the factory and it is starting to creak and sounds like it is on its way out. So my question is can I convert to something stronger with my frame?

Stiff yet compliant
    Yes, but it will require a new crankset.

Kosher Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by Konarider22
    can I convert to something stronger with my frame?
    If you are speaking about the BB as the "something stronger," then yes.

Go with a SKF Bottom Bracket, best damn ISIS BB out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Portman
    If you are speaking about the BB as the "something stronger," then yes.

Go with a SKF Bottom Bracket, best damn ISIS BB out there.
    Will it hold up for a while? The one I have now is only 5 months old and ridden pretty lightly as I am only 150 lbs and it is sounding horrible.

mtbr member
    The creak may or may not be indicative of a worn BB. It might be the BB cup creaking against the frame. It could be the BB shell creaking against the non-fixed cup of the BB. It could be your chainring bolts. It could be a lot of things.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    All indications I've ever gotten about the SKS and Crank Bros ISIS BB's is that, finally, there is a very good ISIS product that does last. SKS even has a ten year warranty (I believe) on their SKS BB's. SKS has two - the cheaper Cro-mo axle and the more expensive stainless steel axle. I am personally using FSA's Platinum Pro MegaQuad version and I got just less that two years out of it before the axle sheared in two in the middle. However, as bad as that is, the bearings were NEVER an issue unlike my TruVativ and Race Face ones before that. FSA warrantied the BB for me so I'm running it now and I haven't had any problems yet (it's been 3 or 4 months now?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Will it hold up for a while? The one I have now is only 5 months old and ridden pretty lightly as I am only 150 lbs and it is sounding horrible.
    The SKF BBs should hold up better than other ISIS BBs. These bottom brackets use roller bearings instead of ball bearings on the drive side. They also claim to use a special seal to keep contaminants out of the bearings.

See:

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/i...517236&lang=en
    http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/i...517237&lang=en

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I can feel the grinding in the BB everytime I pedal. It feels like the bearings are shot. I use to have the same problem when I rode bmx. I would've thought it was water in the BB but thsi bike has never been near water or even damp.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    I can feel the grinding in the BB everytime I pedal. It feels like the bearings are shot. I use to have the same problem when I rode bmx. I would've thought it was water in the BB but thsi bike has never been near water or even damp.
    You're probably right. Replace it. The SKS Cro-Mo BBs aren't that expensive. I've seen then in the $30-$40 range.