mtbr member

IRD Metawire + XTR

I spent some time setting...nay....attempting to set up some IRD Metawire on my NRS with XT integrated shifters and XTR rear derailleur.

The PE lining is supposed to run from the shifter all the way down to the derailleur. However, I can't seem to get enough of the slack out of the PE liner to have the barrel adjuster do anything. Have others had luck installing IRD (or nokon's) compressionless cable system? Any hints/tips in trying to set this up?
    .nathan.

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathasm
    I spent some time setting...nay....attempting to set up some IRD Metawire on my NRS with XT integrated shifters and XTR rear derailleur.

The PE lining is supposed to run from the shifter all the way down to the derailleur. However, I can't seem to get enough of the slack out of the PE liner to have the barrel adjuster do anything. Have others had luck installing IRD (or nokon's) compressionless cable system? Any hints/tips in trying to set this up?
    .nathan.
    wish i could help. i installed the metawire with sram xo grippies and didn't have a problem. can't remember how i did it. but, it was pretty simple. i'm not really sure what problem you're encountering.
    It ain't easy being human.

mtbr member

My problem explained

Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    wish i could help. i installed the metawire with sram xo grippies and didn't have a problem. can't remember how i did it. but, it was pretty simple. i'm not really sure what problem you're encountering.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get all the slack out of the line using the barrel adjusters. Hence, the PE liner is very loose and consequently can't adjust the rear derailleur.
    .nathan.

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by nathasm
    The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get all the slack out of the line using the barrel adjusters. Hence, the PE liner is very loose and consequently can't adjust the rear derailleur.
    .nathan.
    if i remember correctly the liner is supposed to be cut a little short so that the interference doesnt occur.
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I think this should go in the reviews, but I guess it is relevant, kinda...

The Metawires suck compared to the Nokon kit. The Metawire kit that I picked up consisted of just cable, housing bits and liners. In contrast, the Nokon kit came with cable, noticeably slipperier liner, housing bits in two sizes (regular, and short bits for added flexibility around areas that need it), "pearls" to mate female ends of housing bits together, end bits (to fit perfectly in end stops), and frame protector tubes. In addition, the radiusing of the male ends of the Nokon housing bits was that much better and closer to a semisphere than the Metawires, which were more like de-edged cylinders.

The Nokon instructions were quite bad, though. Those wacky Germans just did not translate to english well. Maybe it was because of the indeciperability of the instructions that the setup they had in the bags did not seems to apply to my bike (Heckler) at all. In fact, you had to find some of the end-pieces and "pearls" in the strands that they had pre-assembled.