Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MTB B'dos

Interesting POLL - XTR, XT, XO, X9.......

Front page takes a while to load for me on dial-up so I don't really visit there much so I also don't see the polls etc. Got a PM about something and attached was a link to the latest poll - which I checked out. Then I decided to browse over all the polls and found one on which Rear Derailer you were running and the results are very interesting.

Considering all the "I hate Shimano", "Shitmano" etc, etc that's posted on this site I was amazed to view the results of the poll (8385) when I voted that said that 30% were running XT, 22% XTR, 12% XO, 10% X9, 7% LX, Other Shimano 7%, 4% I ride SS, 4% X7, 1% Other SRAM, 1% Saint, 1% Not Sure..

If you haven't voted yet go vote, 'cause it's so interesting with all the Shimano hating and bashing that it turns out that 67% are still using Shimano products, while only 27% are using SRAM.

http://www.mtbr.com/polls/polls.asp?id=1103
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    I haven't used SRAM, but I've had Shimano on all my bikes. Seems to me that Shimano does what its supposed to do, and has always worked for me. Like it or not, they're the 900 pound gorilla on the block.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Never had a problem with shimano.

I run :

Hone Cranks
    Shimano HG53 Chain
    Xt Cassette
    Deore Shifter
    Ultegra Derailleur
    Xt Hubs

willtsmith_nwi

Shimano is the biggest OEM ...

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Front page takes a while to load for me on dial-up so I don't really visit there much so I also don't see the polls etc. Got a PM about something and attached was a link to the latest poll - which I checked out. Then I decided to browse over all the polls and found one on which Rear Derailer you were running and the results are very interesting.

Considering all the "I hate Shimano", "Shitmano" etc, etc that's posted on this site I was amazed to view the results of the poll (8385) when I voted that said that 30% were running XT, 22% XTR, 12% XO, 10% X9, 7% LX, Other Shimano 7%, 4% I ride SS, 4% X7, 1% Other SRAM, 1% Saint, 1% Not Sure..

If you haven't voted yet go vote, 'cause it's so interesting with all the Shimano hating and bashing that it turns out that 67% are still using Shimano products, while only 27% are using SRAM.

http://www.mtbr.com/polls/polls.asp?id=1103
    Everyone has ridden Shimano. Not everyone has been introduced to SRAM.

There is a LOT more legacy Shimano stuff out there since until recently pretty much all bikes shipped with stock Shimano components. The poll says nothing of what those who have used both prefer. It is non-applicable to the issue. It is a bit like conducting a presidential preference poll at an oil executive meeting. It's kinda a biased sample.

In exile
    I took X9/X0 off of my bike for XTR. It just works better for me. Not for everyone, but for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had a mix of the "new" and "old" XTR stuff on my old Stumpjumer, and was impressed with the shifting, though not the strength. It shifted much cleaner than the X9/X0 mixture I now have on my 575. However, it only took one fairly nasty wreck to destroy the shifters and rear deraileur. The XT stuff I had used before had held up to much more of a beating.
    Cheers
    -Jeff

sushi lover
    May 2006
    my Seven is spec'd out in XTR...

MTB B'dos
    Since "we're" getting so defensive, I thought I'd clarify what the poll says.......What rear derailer are you using NOW? not what did your bike come with, what did you switch it too? So if somoenone had either and switched they'd vote for what they're running now, which would indicate their preference - easy up sram ladd

It's about what you're riding now and I my case I had Shimano and stayed w/ Shimano 'cause they work and cost a crap load less. I did however have RF cranks and was the best thing when I bought the XT HT2's.

Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Everyone has ridden Shimano. Not everyone has been introduced to SRAM.

There is a LOT more legacy Shimano stuff out there since until recently pretty much all bikes shipped with stock Shimano components. The poll says nothing of what those who have used both prefer. It is non-applicable to the issue. It is a bit like conducting a presidential preference poll at an oil executive meeting. It's kinda a biased sample.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

willtsmith_nwi

Yes you are correct ...

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Since "we're" getting so defensive, I thought I'd clarify what the poll says.......What rear derailer are you using NOW? not what did your bike come with, what did you switch it too? So if somoenone had either and switched they'd vote for what they're running now, which would indicate their preference - easy up sram ladd

It's about what you're riding now and I my case I had Shimano and stayed w/ Shimano 'cause they work and cost a crap load less. I did however have RF cranks and was the best thing when I bought the XT HT2's.

Yes your facts are correct but your reasoning is flaw. SRAM is an insurgent in the marketplace. Most bikes come stock with Shimano so it's not surprising that most people are still riding Shimano.

I am not a critic of Shimano. I happen to be very fond of their cranks and hubs. And I certainly think they make fine shifters and derailleurs. I just happen to think SRAM makes better shifters and derailleurs.

You might as well take a general poll on what kind of beer a given person drinks. Given the massive volume that Budweiser and Miller puts out, most people will comment that they drink one of the two. That doesn't mean Budweiser or Miller is better.

-> SickLines.com <-
    the numbers don't lie, you just see sram advocates voicing their sramness more

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You might as well take a general poll on what kind of beer a given person drinks. Given the massive volume that Budweiser and Miller puts out, most people will comment that they drink one of the two. That doesn't mean Budweiser or Miller is better.
    I think that sums it up nicely.

There is no qualifier on what makes something definitively better in this case. Each to their own. Personally I run Shimano stuff ( mostly XT ) as in the past its been fine and at the moment its perfectly fine. I upgrade parts when i wear them out . . . so normally its a bit here and a bit there. so a complete drivetrain jump to SRAM is simply not justifiable.

I certainly dont feel that its limiting me in any manner, so a complete change is not worth it.

If my bike setup came with SRAM to begin with, i'd probably stay with SRAM as again, it would do the job fine and not be a limiting factor of my riding.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Yes your facts are correct but your reasoning is flaw. SRAM is an insurgent in the marketplace. Most bikes come stock with Shimano so it's not surprising that most people are still riding Shimano.

I am not a critic of Shimano. I happen to be very fond of their cranks and hubs. And I certainly think they make fine shifters and derailleurs. I just happen to think SRAM makes better shifters and derailleurs.

It is also a poll about what riders are using, not what is "best."

I use to run $12 Shimano 200GS rear derailleurs because they did the job and were cheap. I never considered them the best available, just good enough.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The highest volume, most heavily marketed stuff will always come out top in these kind of polls. It doesn't mean they are the best. I prefer X9 to XT, but it's not that big a deal. I currently run X9 rear mech, X9 shifters, XT front mech and XT drivetrain with a Sram chain!
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    i prefer SRAM.

and since there are more Cannondales on the road (ie, more people buy Cannondales) than Turners does not imply that Cannondales are better than Turners......

In exile
    I will note that I see just as many bikes in the upper ranks of mountain bikes lately spec'd with Sram. That was the last 2 years. This year I seem to see more Shimano. I attribute all of that to marketing by shimano and sram. There is really no other explanation. The parts mean less than the price to the bike mfgs I am sure. If it works and they get it for less, they won't start caring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Until recently, I've always run LX and XT. This is what my bikes have predominantly come with, they worked just fine for a good price, and I was hesitant to switch brands when Shimano got the job done. I didn't necessarily think that the LX and XT (or Shimano in general) was the best components. Like everyone else has said, what you use isn't necessarily what's the best.

For my recent Flux build, I went with SRAM for a lot of my drivetrain components because I liked how they felt on the bikes I had demoed and because I felt that Shimano's top end offering (XTR) wasn't durable enough for my uses and purposes. X.0 gave me the same or better performance as XTR, but also added a lot in the durability department.

MTB B'dos
    Exactly - I run XT derailers 'cause for the price I've paid for them they do the job well and seem to hold up to some good abuse. They're not the best or lightest, but they do what they're sposed to for what I can afford or at least see as reasonable for a part that's prob not gona last too long if you ride very bad terrain and smack it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    It is also a poll about what riders are using, not what is "best."

I use to run $12 Shimano 200GS rear derailleurs because they did the job and were cheap. I never considered them the best available, just good enough.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

No good in rock gardens..
    I'll never have Shimano as long as they persist with rapid rise. I just don't like it.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Just ride!

i use shimano stuff on my bike

but the sram stuff feels nice.

The stormtrooper picture is milk funny!

crashes in parkinglot
    The only shimano parts on my singles are xtr rim brakes i've had for a long time, a skewer and a BB.

I think i voted "other in the poll". But the next bike i build if its not a single will be Sram or rohloff.

When i was running gears i always had a shimano drivetrain but i wanted to switch to sram stuff but the cost of getting new rear der and rear mech were not cost effective.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    What are deraileurs?

MTB B'dos
    You know this seems to be a lot of people's attitude towards the RR stuff and maybe it's 'cause I hadn't been ridding MTB too long when they introduced it and I got it, BUT I totally love it. It makes so much sense not having to apply pressure when you are trying to go into an easier gear. Also having the shifters work the same for front and rear also makes so much sense - know when I got my Tranc e/w the RR I was like" Damn this is how it's sposed to be"

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    I'll never have Shimano as long as they persist with rapid rise. I just don't like it.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    High-normal derailleurs are in the '07 lineup.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Village Dirtbag
    SRAM is the Macintosh of the bike world. I've always ran Shimano and I like it. I wouldn't avoid a bike with a nice SRAM setup, but SRAM tends to have a loud, vocal minority who often get fanatical about their components.

mtbr member
    My first mountainbike came with a Shimano XT rear derailleur which was flawless and gave me no reason to change. My current ride is a boutique bike which I built up with full XTR, just because I wanted to. It all works as advertised and for a long time. Maybe SRAM make a good product but no way is it going to be better. With all the resources available to Shimano, they are able to research and improve their products more than anyone.

I just had a look at two examples of pricing for rear derailleurs:

Speedgoat. XTR $158.00 / X.O $235.00
    Alfred E Bike XTR $122.00 / X.O $248.00

Why on earth would I want to buy SRAM? I'll bet that even the new 2007 XTR is not as pricey as X.O. A derailleur is not rocket science. It just has to be made well so that it lasts and any glitches designed out.

Ronnie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast