Got Trails?

Intalling New Crankset/BB

I just ordered a new Shimano LX crankset with the bottom bracket. I know it has the external ball bearing system. I want to install this on my own so any helpfull tips or websites anyone has please foward to me.

Thanks
    I Fear No Beer

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbike1
    I just ordered a new Shimano LX crankset with the bottom bracket. I know it has the external ball bearing system. I want to install this on my own so any helpfull tips or websites anyone has please foward to me.

Thanks
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=122

mtbr member
    Also note, if you currently have an existing bottom bracket that is a different type, you'll need a tool to have that removed also, before being able to install the new setup.

Got Trails?
    Thanks for the link.
    Currently I am running with a shimano internal BB. Nothing special just a replacement a LBS had so I could get back out on the trails when I was at Hunter Mt NY. I dont have any of the tools so I may have to improvise or surrender it to the LBS.
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    Improvise carefully, you don't want to cause any irreversible damage or damage that will make it a pain to remove the BB. If in doubt, i'm sure a quick task like removing the BB shouldn't be a big deal for you and the LBS.

Jason
    Don't skip the facing process. Take it to the lbs and let them do it. It's cheap and well worth the money. I did this same swap a few months ago.
    Jason

mtbr member
    I went from square taper to LX and let the LBS do it for me, I couldn't be bothered getting all the tools