Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Installing Stylo 3.3

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Markardi 
#1 ·
Hey,

I'm installing a new Truvativ Stylo 3.3 crank and GXP BB on a GT Avalanche frame that has a shell width of 68mm.

I'm using both spacers, everything is on, and there is no play. My concern is when I put the drive side in, the arm surface did not mate with the bearing seal. There is about a 1/8" gap between the two surfaces and it looks like they should mate perfectly.

I put the left side arm on and tightened to the recommended torque and it mates perfectly to the bearing seal. Again, there is no play but it just seem like (for maximum stiffness) the drive side arm should be right against the bearing seal. Am I wrong?

I'll take a rubber mallet to it if that's what it needs, but I'd rather not until I know for sure.

Thanks,
Mark

#2 ·
I had the same problem. I tighted it the crank arms to the correct torque and there was still a gap. I tought there was something wrong until i researched for more information about that gap and apparently, this gap is normal. It is left intentionally to reduce friction on the bearings. Once I get home, i'll update this post with links.

#3 ·
I believe that you have the correct set up.

There is a slight shamfering (if this isthe correct term - widening on the axle near the cranks which is used to load the drive side bearing. The no-drive side is used to pull this into the bearing. So when correctly installed there should be no 'in-out, up-down, back-fwd play and there should be no gap on the non-drive side (I think there is a metal surface on the bearing face on this side, where there should be contact), however the drive side will likely have a gap.

check out the SRAM website for tech docs...
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2005_gxp-05-r5-e.pdf

If you are unsure, remove the Cranks, regrease and fit again... in my experience, you can not have too much grease on these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.