Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

the Great and Powerful

Installing New Rings on XTR 970 Crankset?

I am expecting a new ring set to arrive at my door step any day now. My middle ring is badly worn, my small and big rings are fairly worn.

Do I have to pull the crankset off my ride to change out the rings on a 2009 XTR 970 crankset???

Please say, "NO"...
    Go toward the light. Fear not. Lord Hawg is waiting for you on the other side.

mtbr member
    pulling the cranks with outboard BB style cranks is no big deal. I think to get the small ring changed you'll be pulling for sure.

the Great and Powerful
    Yes, it is a big deal. XTR 970 cranks don't just come off. You've got to have a special nut that presses the left arm off and I don't have it and it's expensive for what what it is! Crap!!!

Thanks though, you answered my greatest fear for this project...

The Hutch
    just go to your lbs they have the special tool takes 5 mins to pull off.

the Great and Powerful
    Yeah, I know. I've had my LBS do that for me a few times before. But I think I'm running out of favors from them, LOL!

The Hutch
    [QUOTE=ambassadorhawg]Yeah, I know. I've had my LBS do that for me a few times before. But I think I'm running out of favors from them, LOL![/QUOTE
    Best way to keep Favors at a LBS is to buy parts from them instead of online.

mtbr member
    Buy parts, tip when they deserve it and bring a coffee for the mechanic. I buy big ticket items online but all the $100 and less items and the bike itself get purchased locally. My shop takes care of me, even if I walk in with some internet parts.

the Great and Powerful
    [QUOTE=rob1208lv]
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Yeah, I know. I've had my LBS do that for me a few times before. But I think I'm running out of favors from them, LOL![/QUOTE
    Best way to keep Favors at a LBS is to buy parts from them instead of online.
    In the past 10 years, I've purchased 3 bikes from them and referred at least one buyer. BUT...I didn't buy anything from them concerning my custom build. I took it in there a few months back and they said, "where did you get this bike?" Ooops, LOL! Anyway, I do stop in there once a month to see what's out for touching and I always buy little things like lube or a pair of socks whenever I go in there. Waiting for them to get a 29er test bike. I'm dieing to see how it feels to grind uphill on one of those!

I guess I should just order the nut/tool for the cranks from them and be done with it...