mtbr member

installing crankset

i am building my first bike, learning as i progress. i need to install bb, its shimano xt. i understand i need to torque it to certain value, but not quite sure how with parktool open wrench. googled some videos but all of them showed just using parktool.. also in one of the videos guy placed 3 spacers on one side and 1 spacer on another. how do i know how many on which side or if i need to use them at all?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i am building my first bike, learning as i progress. i need to install bb, its shimano xt. i understand i need to torque it to certain value, but not quite sure how with parktool open wrench. googled some videos but all of them showed just using parktool.. also in one of the videos guy placed 3 spacers on one side and 1 spacer on another. how do i know how many on which side or if i need to use them at all?
    Read the directions that should have come with the crank set. That will give you the spacer set up for your specific crank and the width of your bottom bracket shell. If this is an external bearing (hollow tech II) crank, you'll need a Park BBT-19 to set torque for the bearing cups, http://www.parktool.com/product/bott...et-tool-bbt-19 . The BBT-19 has an 3/8" socket interface for use with a torque wrench. This is a good tool to have as it is the easiest way to install and remove bearing cups without tearing them up.

If you don't have the install instructions that should have come with your crank set, then go here, http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs...&bmUID=j4r.Xfv . You'll need to scroll down to crank sets, and you'll need to know the specific model of your crank. That should be stamped on the inside of the crank arm around the threaded pedal hole. It'll be something like FC-M760 or the like. From there click on the blue link that will appear under your specific crank model that begins with SI_. That will bring up a PDF file containing he install instructions for your crank. It will include spacer configurations, torque specs and correct install procedures. READ THEM!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    got super excited and didnt even see instructions. will read them for sure. ii guess i dont have right tool (BBT-9). at least not the one to be used with torque wrench. thanks

local trails rider
    I haven't used a torque wrench to install mine. Just the cheap Shimano wrench and make it "tight". A torque wrench is not a bad idea, though.

Is the frame's BB shell straight? External BBs can be a bit picky on that.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    what do you mean by straigth?

local trails rider
    I mean that the surfaces on right and left are perfectly parallel to each other and perpendicular to the ... hmm ... centerline of the shell. Also, no paint on the surfaces. Many frames come perfect in that way, others may need "facing and chasing" (a job usually best left to a shop that already has the relatively expensive tools). Same thing goes for headset installation too.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Class Clown
    I used the BBT-9 as well and, um, well, yeah just had to go by feel. Tight but not too tight.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    I mean that the surfaces on right and left are perfectly parallel to each other and perpendicular to the ... hmm ... centerline of the shell. Also, no paint on the surfaces. Many frames come perfect in that way, others may need "facing and chasing" (a job usually best left to a shop that already has the relatively expensive tools). Same thing goes for headset installation too.
    While I definitely thing shells should be faced. That is what the little plastic inserts between the ID of the bearing and the cranks spindle are for. They will deform to allow for reasonable good alignment.

Mountain Man Dan
    So one has to buy the bbt-19 along with the bbt-9? Ugh.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    So one has to buy the bbt-19 along with the bbt-9? Ugh.
    No if you have the 19 you won't need the 9 but you will need this or similar

http://www.parktool.com/product/adju...ap-tool-bbt-10

The bbt-9 has both you just can't torque the cups with a torque wrench

Mountain Man Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    No if you have the 19 you won't need the 9 but you will need this or similar

http://www.parktool.com/product/adju...ap-tool-bbt-10

The bbt-9 has both you just can't torque the cups with a torque wrench
    Didn't know they had the bbt-10. Cool, thanks. Saves $8 instead of getting the bbt-9 just for the adjustment cap tool.

Do you need to torque the adjustment cap? Says 4-6 in lbs....................there's no place for a torque wrench on the tool?

local trails rider
    The "bolt" that pushes the non-drive side crank in? I do what the Hope BB/crank installation video shows: turn the Shimano tool (looks like a big button) until tight, and then back slightly. It doesn't have to be tight but you need to push the crank all the way onto the spindle.

Mountain Man Dan
    And has that method been working? Yes, the adjustment cap is what snugs the non driveside arm on.

Class Clown
    I just did it by feel 5 in-lbs is lower than my torque wrench can go anyway.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    And has that method been working?
    As far as I can tell. It does not seem to cause any problems.

Mountain Man Dan
    Ok. Cool. Thanks guys. I have a hollow tech bb/crank and it keeps creaking. Need the tools to take it apart and clean and regrease it. + rep to both of you.